Analysis of landslide dam geometries
- 201 Downloads
The geometry of a landslide dam is an important component of evaluating dam stability. However, the geometry of a natural dam commonly cannot be obtained immediately with field investigations due to their remote locations. A rapid evaluation model is presented to estimate the geometries of natural dams based on the slope of the stream, volume of landslides, and the properties of the deposit. The proposed model uses high resolution satellite images to determine the geometry of the landside dam. These satellite images are the basic information to a preliminary stability analysis of a natural dam. This study applies the proposed method to two case studies in Taiwan. One is the earthquake-induced Lung-Chung landslide dam in Taitung, and the second is the rainfall-induced Shih-Wun landslide dam in Pingtung.
KeywordsLandslide dam Geometries Stability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chen KT, Tsang YC, Kuo YS, Lu MH, Shieh CL (2010) Case analysis of landslide dam formation by Typhoon Morakot. Journal of the Taiwan Disaster Prevention Society 2(1): 66–67. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- Chen SC (1999) Failure mechanism and disaster mitigation on landslide-dammed lakes. Journal of Chinese Soil and Water Conservation 30(4): 299–311. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- Chen SC, Hsu CL (2009) Landslide dams induced by Typhoon Morakot and its risk assessment. Sino-Geotechnics 122: 77–86. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- Hunger O (2006) Prospects for prediction of landslide dam geometry using empirical and dynamic models. Italian Journal of Engineering Geology and Environment Special Issue 1: 151–155.Google Scholar
- Hyndman D, Hyndman D (2008) Natural hazards and disasters. Cengage Learning. Belmont. CA. USA.Google Scholar
- Sousa J, Voight B (1985) Continuum simulation of flow failures. Geotechnique 41(4): 515–538.Google Scholar
- Tabata S, Mizuyama T (2002) Tennen damu to saigai. (In Japanese, translation of “Disasters of natural dams”).Google Scholar
- Takahashi T, Kuang SF (1988) Hydrograph prediction of debris flow due to failure of landslide dam. Annuals of Disaster Prevention Research Institute 31B-2: 601–615. (In Japanese)Google Scholar