A new approach to plane failure of rock slope stability based on water flow velocity in discontinuities for the Latian dam reservoir landslide
- 233 Downloads
The stability of slopes is always of great concern in the field of rock engineering. The geometry and orientation of pre-existing discontinuities show a larger impact on the behavior of slopes that is often used to describe the measurement of the steepness, incline, gradient, or grade of a straight line. One of the structurally controlled modes of failure in jointed rock slopes is plane failure. There are numerous analytical methods for the rock slope stability including limit equilibrium, stress analysis and stereographic methods. The limiting equilibrium methods for slopes under various conditions against plane failure have been previously proposed by several investigators. However, these methods do not involve water pressure on sliding surfaces assessments due to water velocity and have not yet been validated by case study results. This paper has tried to explore the effects of forces due to water pressure on discontinuity surfaces in plane failure through applying the improved equations. It has studied the effect of water flow velocity on sliding surfaces in safety factor, as well. New equations for considering water velocity (fluid dynamics) are presented. To check the validity of the suggested equations, safety factor for a case study has been determined. Results show that velocity of water flow had significant effect on the amount of safety factor. Also, the suggested equations have higher validity rate compared to the current equations.
KeywordsPlane Failure Limit Equilibrium Safety Factor Water Velocity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Eghtesad R, Bohloli B, Davoodi M, Zarei HR, Haghshenas E (2007) Stability analysis of Latian dam reservoir landslide. 3rd Iranian Rock Mechanics Conference, Amirkabir University of Technology. Tehran, Iran.Google Scholar
- RocPlane version 2 (2002) Planar sliding stability analysis for rock slopes. Rcsience Inc. www.rocsience.com.
- Sjoberg J (1996) Large scale slope stability in open pit mining. Technical Report. Lulea University of Technology, Division of Rock Mechanics.Google Scholar
- Streeter VL (1985) Handbook of Fluid Dynamics. New York, McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Streeter VL and Whylie EB (1981) Fluid Mechanics. New York, McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Vutukuri VS and Katsuyama K (1994) Introduction to Rock Mechanics. Tokyo, Industrial Publishing and Consulting.Google Scholar