Impact of the Wenchuan Earthquake on tourism in Sichuan, China
- 709 Downloads
An intensive earthquake, the Wenchuan Earthquake of 8.0 on the Richter scale, struck western Sichuan, China on May 12, 2008. The earthquake has tremendously affected all industries in the quake-hit areas, with no exception of the local tourism. The study of the effect of the earthquake on tourism enriches the theory of tourism, and more importantly, it well serves as the foundation for policy making. The objective of this study is to outline for readers the empirical findings on the various ways that the earthquake affected the operations and viability of tourism in the quake-hit areas. This paper is mainly divided into 3 parts. The first part is to discuss the importance of tourism in the quake-hit areas. The second is to analyze the influencing factors of tourism. The third is to assess the impact of the earthquake on tourism in Sichuan in different seasons.
Key wordsWenchuan Earthquake Tourism Impact factors of Tourism Economic Loss
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kaul, R. N. 1985. Dynamics of Tourism: A trilogy, Transportation and Marketing, New Delhi: Sterling Publishers.Google Scholar
- LAI Fengbo. Impact of Transportation on Tourism and Suggestion, Vol.28(11):85–86.(In Chinese)Google Scholar
- LIU Feng. 1999. Tourism System Panning: a New Concept on Tourism Planning. Geography and Geo-Information Science 15(1): 56–60. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- LU Zhanqin, ZHANG Zhengguo. 1999. Thought on Tourist Security Publicity in Famous Scenic Areas. Journal of Guil in Institute of Tourism supplement: 7–8. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- LUO Huasong and Yang Shiyu. 2008. On The Regionalization of the Integration System of Geological Tourism Resources and the Human-land Relationship in Lijiang. Journal of Yunnan Normal University(Humanities and Social Science), 40(05):31–35. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- WU Bihu. 1998. Tourism System: an Explanation for Tourist Activities and Tourism Science. Tourism Tribune 01: 21–25. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- WANG Zuoding. 2003. The Statuse of Tour Resourse in Tour Career. Journal of Fuzhou Teachers College 03: 117–120. (In Chinese)Google Scholar