Ten Ways Artificial Intelligence Will Transform Primary Care
Artificial intelligence (AI) is poised as a transformational force in healthcare. This paper presents a current environmental scan, through the eyes of primary care physicians, of the top ten ways AI will impact primary care and its key stakeholders. We discuss ten distinct problem spaces and the most promising AI innovations in each, estimating potential market sizes and the Quadruple Aims that are most likely to be affected. Primary care is where the power, opportunity, and future of AI are most likely to be realized in the broadest and most ambitious scale. We propose how these AI-powered innovations must augment, not subvert, the patient–physician relationship for physicians and patients to accept them. AI implemented poorly risks pushing humanity to the margins; done wisely, AI can free up physicians’ cognitive and emotional space for patients, and shift the focus away from transactional tasks to personalized care. The challenge will be for humans to have the wisdom and willingness to discern AI’s optimal role in twenty-first century healthcare, and to determine when it strengthens and when it undermines human healing. Ongoing research will determine the impact of AI technologies in achieving better care, better health, lower costs, and improved well-being of the workforce.
KEY WORDSartificial intelligence primary care Quadruple Aim patient–physician relationship
The authors thank Rebecca Rolfe, MS, for her creative and technical support on the manuscript figure.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
SYL is the PI on a research project sponsored by Google to understand how deep learning techniques and automatic speech recognition can facilitate clinical documentation. Google had no role in the preparation of this manuscript and the decision to approve publication of the finished manuscript. SYL has no financial interests to declare.
MRM and SYL collaborated with Babylon Health to write clinical case vignettes to train a triage and diagnosis software. Babylon Health had no role in the preparation of this manuscript and the decision to approve publication of the finished manuscript. Neither have any conflicts of interest to declare.
CAS has no conflicts of interest to declare.
- 1.Mesko B. Artificial Intelligence is the Stethoscope of the 21st Century. The Medical Futurist. https://medicalfuturist.com/ibm-watson-is-the-stethoscope-of-the-21st-century. Updated July 18, 2017. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 4.Rui P, Okeyode T. National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey: 2015 State and National Summary Tables. National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/ahcd/namcs_summary/2015_namcs_web_tables.pdf. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 5.Jiang HJ, Russo CA, Barrett ML. Nationwide Frequency and Costs of Potentially Preventable Hospitalizations, 2006. HCUP Statistical Brief #72. U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/statbriefs/sb72.pdf. Updated April 2009. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 6.Fingar KR, Barrett ML, Elixhauser A, Stocks C, Steiner CA. Trends in Potentially Preventable Inpatient Hospital Admissions and Emergency Department Visits. HCUP Statistical Brief #195. U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/statbriefs/sb195-Potentially-Preventable-Hospitalizations.pdf. Updated November 2015. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 7.American Hospital Association. Fast Facts on U.S. Hospitals, 2018. https://www.aha.org/statistics/fast-facts-us-hospitals. Updated February 2018. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 9.Microsoft Industry Blogs. Winners of the 2018 Microsoft Health Innovation Awards. https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/industry-blog/industry/health/winners-of-the-2018-microsoft-health-innovation-awards/. Updated March 7, 2018. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 10.BaseHealth. Predictive Health Platform Optimizes Health and Disease Risk Management, Improves Population Health Outcomes. https://www.basehealth.com/news/2018/02/27/predictive-health-platform-optimizes-health-and-disease-risk-management-improves-population-health-outcomes.html. Updated February 27, 2018. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 11.Grand View Research. Population Health Management Market Size Worth $88.9 Billion By 2025. https://www.grandviewresearch.com/press-release/global-population-health-management-phm-market. Updated April 2018. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 12.Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Value-Based Programs. https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-Instruments/Value-Based-Programs/Value-Based-Programs.html. Updated July 25, 2018. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 13.Japsen B. IBM Watson, Siemens Partner To Tap Population Health Industry. Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucejapsen/2016/10/11/ibm-watson-siemens-partner-to-tap-population-health-industry/#438447e66600. Updated October 11, 2016. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 14.Mukherjee S. You Can Now Download an Artificial Intelligence Doctor. Fortune. http://fortune.com/2017/01/10/healthtap-dr-ai-launch/. Updated January 10, 2017. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 15.Razzaki S, Baker A, Perov Y, et al. A comparative study of artificial intelligence and human doctors for the purpose of triage and diagnosis. Babylon Health. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/326056790_A_comparative_study_of_artificial_intelligence_and_human_doctors_for_the_purpose_of_triage_and_diagnosis. Updated June 2018. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 16.Landi H. Telehealth Market Estimated to Reach $19.5B by 2025. Healthcare Innovation. https://www.healthcare-informatics.com/news-item/telemedicine/report-telehealth-market-estimated-reach-195b-2025. Updated April 2, 2018. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 17.Grand View Research. U.S. Retail Clinics Market Worth $7.3 Billion by 2025. https://www.grandviewresearch.com/press-release/us-retail-clinics-market-analysis. Updated September 2017. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 18.Olson P. Rise Of The AI-Doc: Insurer Prudential Taps Babylon Health In $100 Million Software Licensing Deal. Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyolson/2018/08/02/rise-of-the-ai-doc-insurer-prudential-taps-babylon-health-in-100-million-software-licensing-deal/#386d868d628f. Updated August 2, 2018. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 19.Smith CD, Balatbat C, Corbridge S, et al. Implementing Optimal Team-Based Care to Reduce Clinician Burnout. NAM Perspectives. Discussion Paper, National Academy of Medicine, Washington, DC. https://nam.edu/implementing-optimal-team-based-care-to-reduce-clinician-burnout/. Updated September 17, 2018. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 22.Adams A, Shankar M, Tecco H. 50 Things We Now Know About Digital Health Consumers. Rock Health. https://rockhealth.com/reports/digital-health-consumer-adoption-2016/. Updated 2016. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 23.Market Research Engine. Wearable Devices Market By Product Analysis, By Application Analysis, and By Regional Analysis – Global Forecast by 2016–2022. https://www.marketresearchengine.com/wearable-devices-market. Updated July 2017. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 24.American Diabetes Association. The Cost of Diabetes. http://www.diabetes.org/advocacy/news-events/cost-of-diabetes.html. Updated March 22, 2018. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 25.Jahns RG. Research: 6 Success Factors for Digital-Enabled Health Coaching. HIT Consultant. https://hitconsultant.net/2018/02/09/success-factors-for-digital-enabled-health-coaching/. Updated February 9, 2018. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 28.Chou K, Chiu CC. Understanding Medical Conversations. Google AI Blog. https://ai.googleblog.com/2017/11/understanding-medical-conversations.html. Updated November 21, 2017. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 29.McGrane C. Microsoft and UPMC unveil virtual AI assistant that listens in and takes notes on doctor’s visits. GeekWire. https://www.geekwire.com/2018/microsoft-healthcare/. Updated February 28, 2018. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 30.Spitzer J. Nuance brings 1st integrated virtual assistant to Epic EHR. Becker’s Hospital Review. https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/ehrs/nuance-brings-1st-integrated-virtual-assistant-to-epic-ehr.html. Updated September 7, 2018. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 31.Miliard M. Athenahealth partners with NoteSwift on AI-powered EHR documentation. Healthcare IT News. https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/athenahealth-partners-noteswift-ai-powered-ehr-documentation. Updated January 31, 2018. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 33.Liu Y, Kohlberger T, Norouzi M, et al. Artificial Intelligence-Based Breast Cancer Nodal Metastasis Detection [published online ahead of print: October 8, 2018]. Arch Pathol Lab Med. doi: https://doi.org/10.5858/arpa.2018-0147-OA.
- 34.Mukherjee S. This New AI Can Detect a Deadly Cancer Early With 86% Accuracy. Fortune. http://fortune.com/2017/10/30/ai-early-cancer-detection/. Updated October 30, 2017. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 35.Chinese YL, Beats AI. Doctors in Diagnosing Brain Tumors. Popular Mechanics. https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/robots/a22148464/chinese-ai-diagnosed-brain-tumors-more-accurately-physicians/. Updated July 14, 2018. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 37.IDx. University of Iowa Health Care First to Adopt IDx-DR in a Diabetes Care Setting. Cision PR Newswire. https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/university-of-iowa-health-care-first-to-adopt-idx-dr-in-a-diabetes-care-setting-300672070.html. Updated June 26, 2018. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 38.VisualDx. VisualDx to Launch AI-Enabled Smart Symptom Checker. Cision PR Newswire. https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/visualdx-to-launch-ai-enabled-smart-symptom-checker-300697148.html. Updated August 15, 2018. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 40.Shead S. Tencent Aims to Train AI To Spot Parkinson’s In 3 Minutes. Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/samshead/2018/10/08/tencent-aims-to-train-ai-to-spot-parkinsons-in-3-minutes/#52451b5b6f36. Updated October 8, 2018. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 41.Sullivan T. Next up for EHRs: Vendors adding artificial intelligence into the workflow. Healthcare IT News. https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/next-ehrs-vendors-adding-artificial-intelligence-workflow. Updated March 13, 2018. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 43.Sullivan T. eClinicalWorks CEO Girish Navani: Our next EHR will be like a Bloomberg Terminal. Healthcare IT News. https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/eclinicalworks-ceo-girish-navani-our-next-ehr-will-be-bloomberg-terminal. Updated March 7, 2018. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 44.Apixio. Apixio Launches HCC Auditor, the First AI-Powered Risk Adjustment Auditing Solution. https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2018/07/25/1541847/0/en/Apixio-Launches-HCC-Auditor-the-First-AI-Powered-Risk-Adjustment-Auditing-Solution.html. Updated July 25, 2018. Accessed 7 March 2019.
- 45.Sinsky CA, Sinsky TA, Rajcevich E. Putting Pre-Visit Planning Into Practice. Fam Pract Manag. 2015;22(6):30–38.Google Scholar