Moving from Care Coordination to Care Integration
It has long been recognized that coordination of health services can improve patient outcomes and experiences, and reduce healthcare costs. Yet, this virtuous goal of aligning and coordinating all care an individual receives has proven to be difficult. Only 7% of healthcare executives, clinical leaders, and clinicians indicated that their patients’ care is fully coordinated across various health settings.1 Care teams are challenged in tracking, sharing, and acting on meaningful health information; communicating with patients, caregivers, and each other; addressing the social determinants of health; and managing care for both patients and populations. With 10,000 Baby Boomers turning 65 years old each day and individuals with multiple chronic diseases on the rise, new approaches to coordination across the care continuum are needed.2
Many health organizations have layered coordinating functions atop disparate clinical programs to support handoffs and transitions. However, this rarely...
KEY WORDScare integration care coordination care delivery transformation care delivery innovation care integration pillars
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they do not have a conflict of interest.
- 1.Compton-Phillips A, Mohta NS. Care Redesign Survey: Strengthening the Post-Acute Care Connection. NEJM Catalyst. https://catalyst.nejm.org/strengthening-post-acute-care-connection/. Published November 10, 2016. Accessed March 7, 2019.
- 2.Heimlich R. Baby Boomers Retire. Pew Research Center. December 2010. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2010/12/29/baby-boomers-retire/. Accessed March 7, 2019.
- 4.Hwang W, Chang J, LaClair M, Paz H. Effects of integrated delivery system on cost and quality. Am J Manag Care. 2013;19(5):e175–84.Google Scholar
- 5.Cohen DJ, Balasubramanian BA, Davis M, Hall J, Gunn R, Stange KC, … Clark K. Understanding care integration from the ground up: Five organizing constructs that shape integrated practices. J Am Board Fam Med. 2015;28(Supplement 1):S7–S20.Google Scholar
- 9.New York State Department of Health. DSRIP Independent Assessor Mid-Point Assessment Report. https://www.health.ny.gov/health_care/medicaid/redesign/dsrip/pps_map/midpoint/appx_narrative/sbh.pdf. Published November 2017. Accessed March 7, 2019.
- 10.Allen A. The ‘Frequent Flier’ Program That Grounded a Hospital’s Soaring Costs. Politico Magazine. https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/12/18/parkland-dallas-frequent-flier-hospital-what-works-216108. Published December 18, 2017. Accessed March 7, 2019.
- 11.University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake Health/ Union Hospital of Cecil County Regional Partnership. Regional Partnership Final Report: Regional Partnership for Health System Transformation. December 2015. https://hscrc.state.md.us/Documents/md-maphs/plan/Regional/UMUCH-UHCC/UMUCH%20-UHCC%20Regional%20Partnership%20Final%20Report%20PackageV2.pdfAccessed March 7, 2010.
- 13.Oregon Health Authority. Oregon Health System Transformation: CCO Metrics 2017 Final Report. June 2018.Google Scholar
- 14.RTI International. Evaluation of the Maryland All-Payer Model Third Annual Report. March 2018. https://downloads.cms.gov/files/cmmi/md-all-payer-thirdannrpt.pdf. Accessed March 7, 2019.
- 15.Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and Woodrow Wilson School of Public & International Affairs at Princeton University. Shared Measurement and Joint Accountability Across Health Care and Non-Health Care Sectors: State Opportunities to Address Population Health Goals. January 2017. https://www.shvs.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/SHVS-Shared-Measurement-and-Joint-Accountability-Across-Health-Care-and-Non-Health-Care-Sectors-January-2017.pdf. Accessed March 7, 2019.
- 16.Valentine S. Key Strategies to Build Aligned, High-Performing Physician Networks. March 2018. https://www.healthleadersmedia.com/strategy/key-strategies-build-aligned-high-performing-physician-networks. Accessed March 7, 2019.
- 17.Brickman J. How to Get Health Care Employees Onboard with Change. Harvard Business Review. November 23, 2016. https://hbr.org/2016/11/how-to-get-health-care-employees-onboard-with-change. Accessed March 7, 2019.
- 18.Becker’s Healthcare. Shifting Cultures: A Change Management Guide for Hospital Leaders. Becker’s Hospital Review. https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/hospital-management-administration/shifting-cultures-a-change-management-guide-for-hospital-leaders.html. Accessed March 7, 2019.
- 20.Shay K, Phibbs C, Intrator O, Kinosian B, Scott W, Dally S, Allman R. Evaluation of the costs for veterans receiving care in geriatric medical homes (GeriPACT). Innov Aging. 2017;1(Suppl 1):1329.Google Scholar