Influence of Ethnicity on the Efficacy and Utilization of Bariatric Surgery in the USA
- 568 Downloads
Ethnic disparities in patterns of utilization and outcomes after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery (RYGB) were examined from Bariatric Outcomes Longitudinal Database.
Descriptive statistics were used for demographics of Whites, Blacks, or Hispanics undergoing RYGB with 1 year of follow-up, between June 2007 and October 2011. Multivariate logistic and normal regression models, controlling for baseline characteristics, examined relationships between race and outcomes. T tests were used for continuous variables and Pearson chi-square test for categorical variables.
Study patients (108,333) were79 % White, 12 % Black, and 9 % Hispanic. Fewer Black males underwent surgery (15 %) compared to Whites or Hispanics (∼22 %). Blacks compared to Whites were younger (42.7 ± 10.6 vs. 46.4 ± 11.6 years), heavier BMI (50 ± 9.1 vs. 47.4 ± 8.0 kg/m2), and more often hypertensive (57 vs. 52 %). Other comorbidities were higher in Whites. Thirty-day mortality rate was equivalent (0.23–0.26 %), but serious adverse events were higher for Blacks (3.65 %) versus Whites (3.19 %) and Hispanics (2.01 %). At 1 year, weight and comorbidity burden declined significantly but less in Blacks despite adjustment for baseline characteristics.
Fewer Black males underwent RYGB. Despite a smaller percent decline in BMI and comorbidities in Blacks, all races benefitted significantly from RYGB. Influence of other factors such as diet, culture, and genetics needs to be investigated further.
KeywordsBariatric surgery Gastric bypass Disparities Ethnicity
- 2.Yoon, S.S., et al., Hypertension among adults in the United States, 2009–2010. NCHS Data Brief, 2012. (107): p. 1–8.Google Scholar
- 7.Hutter, M.M., et al., First report from the American College of Surgeons Bariatric Surgery Center Network: laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy has morbidity and effectiveness positioned between the band and the bypass. Ann Surg, 2011. 254(3): p. 410–20; discussion 420–2.PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.National Diabetes Fact Sheet: national esti-mates and general information on diabetes and prediabetes in the United States, 2011., 2011., G.U.S.D.o.H.a.H.S. Atlanta, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Editor. 2011.Google Scholar
- 14.National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse. 2011 July, 2011 [cited 2013 May 10]; Available from: http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/statistics/index.aspx.
- 19.Benotti, P., et al., Risk Factors Associated With Mortality After Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery. Ann Surg, 2013.Google Scholar