Comprehensive Analysis of Variables Affecting Delayed Gastric Emptying Following Pancreaticoduodenectomy
Delayed gastric emptying (DGE) occurs commonly following pancreaticoduodenectomy (PD), and criteria for its clinical diagnosis have recently been standardized by an international consensus group. We evaluated 24 operative and peri-operative variables to assess which were independent risk factors for DGE development. Secondarily, we also examined DGE incidence over time and evaluated the consensus guidelines’ ability to diagnose DGE in patients with complicated post-operative courses.
A prospective, single-surgeon database of 235 patients undergoing PD at an academic tertiary center was retrospectively reviewed and DGE was assessed per published guidelines.
DGE occurred in 42 patients overall (17.9 %), with incidence falling from 30.0 to 9.1 % during the study period. Post-operative abscess, pancreatic fistula formation, pulmonary comorbidity, and increased intraoperative blood loss were found to be independent risk factors (p < 0.05) for DGE on multivariate analysis. Changes in operative technique, such as pylorus preservation, did not associate with DGE. In a separate analysis, when patients with confounding post-operative events such as re-intubation or re-laparotomy were excluded, DGE incidence was 11.9 %.
Perturbation of the operative bed by a secondary complication seems to be the dominant risk for DGE development. The consensus guidelines for DGE diagnosis, while indispensable, may overestimate DGE incidence.
KeywordsPancreaticoduodenectomy Delayed gastric emptying ISGPS
We wish to thank Janis Sandlin, PA-C for her contributions to data collection. Drs. Ciarleglio, Cong, and Kunstman had access to all of the data in the study and carry responsibility for the integrity of the data and the accuracy of the data analysis.
- 1.Winter, J. M., Cameron, J. L., Campbell, K. A., Arnold, M. A., Chang, D. C., Coleman, J., Hodgin, M. B., Sauter, P. K., Hruban, R. H., Riall, T. S., Schulick, R. D., Choti, M. A., Lillemoe, K. D., and Yeo, C. J. 1423 pancreaticoduodenectomies for pancreatic cancer: A single-institution experience. Journal of gastrointestinal surgery : official journal of the Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract 10: 1199–1210; discussion 1210–1191, 2006.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Balcom, J. H. t., Rattner, D. W., Warshaw, A. L., Chang, Y., and Fernandez-del Castillo, C. Ten-year experience with 733 pancreatic resections: changing indications, older patients, and decreasing length of hospitalization. Archives of surgery (Chicago, Ill. : 1960) 136: 391–398, 2001.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.van Berge Henegouwen, M. I., van Gulik, T. M., DeWit, L. T., Allema, J. H., Rauws, E. A., Obertop, H., and Gouma, D. J. Delayed gastric emptying after standard pancreaticoduodenectomy versus pylorus-preserving pancreaticoduodenectomy: an analysis of 200 consecutive patients. Journal of the American College of Surgeons 185: 373–379, 1997.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Yeo, C. J., Barry, M. K., Sauter, P. K., Sostre, S., Lillemoe, K. D., Pitt, H. A., and Cameron, J. L. Erythromycin accelerates gastric emptying after pancreaticoduodenectomy. A prospective, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Annals of surgery 218: 229–237; discussion 237–228, 1993.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Wente, M. N., Bassi, C., Dervenis, C., Fingerhut, A., Gouma, D. J., Izbicki, J. R., Neoptolemos, J. P., Padbury, R. T., Sarr, M. G., Traverso, L. W., Yeo, C. J., Buchler, M. W. Delayed gastric emptying (DGE) after pancreatic surgery: a suggested definition by the International Study Group of Pancreatic Surgery (ISGPS). Surgery 142: 761–768, 2007.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Welsch, T., Borm, M., Degrate, L., Hinz, U., Buchler, M. W., and Wente, M. N. Evaluation of the International Study Group of Pancreatic Surgery definition of delayed gastric emptying after pancreatoduodenectomy in a high-volume centre. The British journal of surgery 97: 1043–1050, 2010.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Malleo, G., Crippa, S., Butturini, G., Salvia, R., Partelli, S., Rossini, R., Bacchion, M., Pederzoli, P., and Bassi, C. Delayed gastric emptying after pylorus-preserving pancreaticoduodenectomy: validation of International Study Group of Pancreatic Surgery classification and analysis of risk factors. HPB: the official journal of the International Hepato Pancreato Biliary Association 12: 610–618, 2010.Google Scholar
- 14.Sakamoto, Y., Yamamoto, Y., Hata, S., Nara, S., Esaki, M., Sano, T., Shimada, K., and Kosuge, T. Analysis of Risk Factors for Delayed Gastric Emptying (DGE) after 387 Pancreaticoduodenectomies with Usage of 70 Stapled Reconstructions. Journal of gastrointestinal surgery : official journal of the Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract 15: 1789–1797, 2011.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Akizuki, E., Kimura, Y., Nobuoka, T., Imamura, M., Nagayama, M., Sonoda, T., and Hirata, K. Reconsideration of postoperative oral intake tolerance after pancreaticoduodenectomy: prospective consecutive analysis of delayed gastric emptying according to the ISGPS definition and the amount of dietary intake. Annals of surgery 249: 986–994, 2009.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Conlon, K. C., Labow, D., Leung, D., Smith, A., Jarnagin, W., Coit, D. G., Merchant, N., and Brennan, M. F. Prospective randomized clinical trial of the value of intraperitoneal drainage after pancreatic resection. Annals of surgery 234: 487–493; discussion 493–484, 2001.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Riediger, H., Makowiec, F., Schareck, W. D., Hopt, U. T., and Adam, U. Delayed gastric emptying after pylorus-preserving pancreatoduodenectomy is strongly related to other postoperative complications. Journal of gastrointestinal surgery: official journal of the Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract 7: 758–765, 2003.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Warshaw, A. L., and Torchiana, D. L. Delayed gastric emptying after pylorus-preserving pancreaticoduodenectomy. Surgery, gynecology & obstetrics 160: 1–4, 1985.Google Scholar
- 23.Seiler, C. A., Wagner, M., Bachmann, T., Redaelli, C. A., Schmied, B., Uhl, W., Friess, H., and Buchler, M. W. Randomized clinical trial of pylorus-preserving duodenopancreatectomy versus classical Whipple resection-long term results. The British journal of surgery 92: 547–556, 2005.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Tran, K. T., Smeenk, H. G., van Eijck, C. H., Kazemier, G., Hop, W. C., Greve, J. W., Terpstra, O. T., Zijlstra, J. A., Klinkert, P., Jeekel, H. Pylorus preserving pancreaticoduodenectomy versus standard Whipple procedure: a prospective, randomized, multicenter analysis of 170 patients with pancreatic and periampullary tumors. Annals of surgery 240: 738–745, 2004.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Gangavatiker, R., Pal, S., Javed, A., Dash, N. R., Sahni, P., and Chattopadhyay, T. K. Effect of antecolic or retrocolic reconstruction of the gastro/duodenojejunostomy on delayed gastric emptying after pancreaticoduodenectomy: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of gastrointestinal surgery: official journal of the Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract 15: 843–852, 2011.CrossRefGoogle Scholar