Endoscopic Management of Early Esophageal Neoplasia: an Emerging Standard
- First Online:
Endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR) and ablation technologies have markedly changed the treatment of early esophageal neoplasia. We analyzed treatment and outcomes of patients undergoing multimodal endoscopic treatment of early esophageal neoplasia at our institution.
Records of patients undergoing endoscopic treatment for esophageal low-grade intraepithelial neoplasia (LGIN, n = 11), high-grade intraepithelial neoplasia (HGIN, n = 24), or T1N0M0 neoplasia (n = 10), presenting between 2007 and 2009, were reviewed. Outcomes included eradication of neoplasia/intestinal metaplasia, development of metachronous neoplasia, and progression to surgical resection.
There were 45 patients, 96% male, with a mean age 67 years. The degree of neoplasia prior to intervention was intramucosal (8) or submucosal (2) carcinoma in 10, HGIN in 24, and LGIN in 11. Patients underwent a total of 166 procedures (median 3/patient, range 1–9). These included 120 radiofrequency ablation sessions, 38 EMRs, and 8 cryoablations. Mean follow-up was 21.3 months. Neoplasia and intestinal metaplasia were eradicated in 87.2% and 56.4% of patients, respectively, while 15.4% developed metachronous neoplasia. Three patients underwent esophagectomy. No patient developed unresectable disease or died.
Endoscopic treatment of early esophageal neoplasia is safe and effective in the short term. A minority of treated patients developed recurrent neoplasia, which is usually amenable to further endoscopic therapy. Complications are relatively minor and uncommon. Endoscopic therapy as the initial treatment for early esophageal neoplasia is an emerging standard of care.
KeywordsBarrett's esophagus Ablation techniques Mucosal resection Endoluminal therapies Dysplasia Esophageal cancer Adenocarcinoma
- 4.Shaheen NJ, Sharma P, Overholt BF, Wolfsen HC, Sampliner RE, Wang KK, Galanko JA, Bronner MP, Goldblum JR, Bennett AE, Jobe BA, Eisen GM, Fennerty MB, Hunter JG, Fleisher DE, Sharma VK, Hawes RH, Hoffman BJ, Rothstein RI, Gordon SR, Mashimo H, Chang KJ, Muthusamy VR, Edmundowics SA, Spechler SJ, Siddiqui AA, Souza RF, Infantolino A, Falk GW, Kimmey MB, Madanick RD, Chak A, Lightdale CJ. Radiofrequiency Ablation in Barrett's Esophagus with Dysplasia. New Engl J Med 2009; 360:2277–2288.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Pech O, Behrens A, May A, Nachbar L, Gossner L, Rabenstein T, Manner H, Guenter E, Huijsmans J, Vieth M, Stolte M, Ell C. Long-term results and risk factor analysis for recurrence after curative endoscopic therapy in 349 patients with high-grade intraepithelial neoplasia and mucosal adenocarcinoma in Barrett's oesophagus. Gut 2008; 57; 1200–1206.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Pouw RE, Gondrie JJ, Sondermeijer CM, ten Kate FJ, van Julik RM, Krishnadath KK, Fockens P, Weusten BL, Bergman JJ. Eradication of Barrett Esophagus with Early Neoplasia by Radiofrequency Ablation, with or without Endoscopic Resection. J Gastrointest Surg 2008; 12:1627–1637.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Ganz RA, Overholt BF, Sharma VK, Fleischer DE, Shaheen NJ, Lightdale CJ, Freeman SR, Pruitt RE, Urayama SM, Gress F, Pavey DA, Branch MS, Savides TJ, Chang KJ, Muthusamy VR, Bohorfoush AG, Pace SC, DeMeester SR, Eysselein VE, Panjehpour M, Triadafilopoulos G. U.S. Multicenter Registry. Circumferential ablation of Barrett's esophagus that contains high-grade dysplasia: a U.S. Multicenter Registry. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 2008; 68(1):35–40.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Chennat J, Konda VJA, Ross AS, Herreros de Tejada A, Noffsinger A, Hart J, Lin S, Ferguson MK, Posner MC, Waxman I. Complete Barrett's Eradication Endoscopic Mucosal Resection: An Effective Treatment Modality for High-Grade Dysplasia and Intramucosal Carcinoma- An American Single-Center Experience. Am J Gastroenterol 2009;104:2684–2692.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Curvers WL, ten Kate FJ, Krishnadath KK, Visser M, Elzer B, Baak LC, Bohmer C, Mallant-Hent RC, Oijen AV, Naber AH Scholten P, Busch OR, Blaauwgeers HGT, Meijer GA, Bergman JGHM. Low-Grade Dysplasia in Barrett's Esophagus: Overdiagnosed and Underestimated. Am J Ganstroenterol 2010;105:1523–1530.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Shaheen NJ, Greenwald BD, Peery AF, Dumot JA, Nishioka NS, Wolfsen HC, Burdick JS, Abrams JA, Wang KK, Mallat D, Johnston MH, Zfass AM, Smith JO, Barthel JS, Lightdale CJ. Safety and efficacy of endoscopic spray cryotherapy for Barrett's esophagus with high-grade dysplasia. Gastrointest Endosc 2010;71(4):680–685.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar