S100A4 mRNA is a Diagnostic and Prognostic Marker in Pancreatic Carcinoma
- 207 Downloads
The aim of this study is to evaluate the clinical significance of S100A4 mRNA expression in pancreatic cancer.
Materials and Methods
We obtained invasive ductal carcinoma (IDC) cells from ten lesions, intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm (IPMN) cells from 20 lesions, and normal ductal cells from 20 normal pancreatic tissues by laser microdissection of frozen tissues. S100A4 expression was examined in the microdissected cells and in formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded (FFPE) samples of 87 pancreatic cancers by quantitative reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction.
IDC cells expressed higher levels of S100A4 than IPMN cells (P = 0.002) and normal ductal cells (P < 0.001), although the difference between IPMN cells and normal ductal cells was not statistically significant (P = 0.070). Analysis of FFPE samples revealed that high S100A4 expression was significantly associated with a shorter overall survival (P = 0.023). In immunohistochemical analysis, the extent of S100A4 mRNA expression was significantly correlated with the expression of S100A4 protein (P = 0.028).
S100A4 could be a marker for malignancy in pancreatic tumors and for poor prognosis in patients with pancreatic cancer.
KeywordsS100A4 Pancreatic carcinoma Prognostic marker Diagnostic marker Formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded (FFPE)
- 4.American gastroenterological association medical position statement: epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatment of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Gastroenterology 1999;117:1463–1484.Google Scholar
- 10.Yamamoto H, Itoh F, Iku S, Adachi Y, Fukushima H, Sasaki S, Mukaiya M, Hirata K, Imai K. Expression of matrix metalloproteinases and tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases in human pancreatic adenocarcinomas: clinicopathologic and prognostic significance of matrilysin expression. J Clin Oncol 2001;19:1118–1127.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Niedergethmann M, Hildenbrand R, Wostbrock B, Hartel M, Sturm JW, Richter A, Post S. High expression of vascular endothelial growth factor predicts early recurrence and poor prognosis after curative resection for ductal adenocarcinoma of the pancreas. Pancreas 2002;25:122–129.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Giovannetti E, Del Tacca M, Mey V, Funel N, Nannizzi S, Ricci S, Orlandini C, Boggi U, Campani D, Del Chiaro M, Iannopollo M, Bevilacqua G et al. Transcription analysis of human equilibrative nucleoside transporter-1 predicts survival in pancreas cancer patients treated with gemcitabine. Cancer Res 2006;66:3928–3935.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Bjornland K, Winberg JO, Odegaard OT, Hovig E, Loennechen T, Aasen AO, Fodstad O, Maelandsmo GM. S100A4 involvement in metastasis: deregulation of matrix metalloproteinases and tissue inhibitors of matrix metalloproteinases in osteosarcoma cells transfected with an anti-S100A4 ribozyme. Cancer Res 1999;59:4702–4708.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Miyamori H, Hasegawa K, Kim KR, Sato H. Expression of metastasis-associated mts1 gene is co-induced with membrane type-1 matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP) during oncogenic transformation and tubular formation of Madin Darby canine kidney (MDCK) epithelial cells. Clin Exp Metastasis 2000;18:51–56.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.arrett SC, Varney KM, Weber DJ, Bresnick AR. S100A4, a mediator of metastasis. J Biol Chem 2006;281:677–680.Google Scholar
- 38.Hamilton SR and Aaltonen LA. (eds): World Health Organization Classification of Tumours. Pathology and Genetics of Tumours of the Digestive System. Lyon: IARC Press, 2000.Google Scholar
- 41.Godfrey TE, Kim SH, Chavira M, Ruff DW, Warren RS, Gray JW, Jensen RH. Quantitative mRNA expression analysis from formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissues using 5′ nuclease quantitative reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction. J Mol Diagnostics 2000;2:84–91.Google Scholar
- 42.Abrahamsen HN, Steiniche T, Nexo E, Hamilton-Dutoit SJ, Sorensen BS. Towards quantitative mRNA analysis in paraffin-embedded tissues using real-time reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction: a methodological study on lymph nodes from melanoma patients. J Mol Diagnostics 2003;5:34–41.Google Scholar
- 43.Hoffmann AC, Mori R, Vallbohmer D, Brabender J, Klein E, Drebber U, Baldus SE, Cooc J, Azuma M, Metzger R, Hoelscher AH, Danenberg KD et al. High expression of HIF1a is a predictor of clinical outcome in patients with pancreatic ductal adenocarcinomas and correlated to PDGFA, VEGF, and bFGF. Neoplasia 2008;10:674–679.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 44.McCarthy DM, Maitra A, Argani P, Rader AE, Faigel DO, Van Heek NT, Hruban RH, Wilentz RE. Novel markers of pancreatic adenocarcinoma in fine-needle aspiration: mesothelin and prostate stem cell antigen labeling increases accuracy in cytologically borderline cases. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 2003;11:238–243.PubMedGoogle Scholar