Clinical utility of gadoxetate disodium-enhanced hepatic MRI for stereotactic body radiotherapy of hepatocellular carcinoma
- 284 Downloads
To investigate the utility of gadoxetate disodium-enhanced hepatic MRI (EOB-MRI) for stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT) to treat hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC).
Materials and methods
We divided 30 HCC patients who underwent SBRT into group A (no change in their Child-Pugh score 6 months post-SBRT) and group B (increased score 6 months post-SBRT). EOB-MRI was performed before and 6 months after SBRT. We calculated the liver-spleen contrast (LSC) ratio for each radiation dose area on hepatobiliary phase scans (LSCbefore using images obtained before SBRT and LSCafter using images acquired after SBRT) and the weighted LSC (W-LSC) as: [(mean LSCbefore (0–30 Gy) × liver volume (0–30 Gy) + mean LSCbefore (30 Gy-) × liver volume (30 Gy-))/total liver volume]. Then we compared the W-LSC, percentage of the liver volume exposed to >20 Gy (V20), and mean liver dose in the two groups.
The LSCafter at 48, 40, and 30 Gy to the liver was statistically lower than the unirradiated area of the liver (p < 0.01). Univariate analysis showed that only W-LSC was significantly associated with group B (p = 0.02).
W-LSC was a useful parameter for predicting changes in hepatic function after SBRT.
KeywordsHepatocellular carcinoma Stereotactic body radiotherapy Gadoxetate disodium Magnetic resonance imaging
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Kazuo Awai received a research grant from Toshiba Medical Systems Co., Ltd. The other authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Ryder SD. Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) in adults. Gut. 2003;52(Suppl 3):1–8.Google Scholar
- 4.Takeda A, Takahashi M, Kunieda E, Takeda T, Sanuki N, Koike Y, et al. Hypofractionated stereotactic radiotherapy with and without transarterial chemoembolization for small hepatocellular carcinoma not eligible for other ablation therapies: preliminary results for efficacy and toxicity. Hepatol Res. 2008;38(1):60–9.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Ichikawa T, Saito K, Yoshioka N, Tanimoto A, Gokan T, Takehara Y, et al. Detection and characterization of focal liver lesions: a Japanese phase III, multicenter comparison between gadoxetic acid disodium-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging and contrast-enhanced computed tomography predominantly in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma and chronic liver disease. Invest Radiol. 2010;45(3):133–41.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Di Martino M, Marin D, Guerrisi A, Baski M, Galati F, Rossi M, et al. Intraindividual comparison of gadoxetate disodium-enhanced MR imaging and 64-section multidetector CT in the Detection of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with cirrhosis. Radiology. 2010;256(3):806–16.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Motosugi U, Ichikawa T, Sou H, Sano K, Tominaga L, Kitamura T, et al. Liver parenchymal enhancement of hepatocyte-phase images in Gd-EOB-DTPA-enhanced MR imaging: which biological markers of the liver function affect the enhancement? J Magn Reson Imaging. 2009;30(5):1042–6.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Shinagawa Y, Sakamoto K, Fujimitsu R, Shimakura M, Kora S, Takano K, et al. Pseudolesion of the liver on gadoxetate disodium-enhanced MR images obtained after transarterial chemoembolization for hepatocellular carcinoma: clinicoradiologic correlation. Am J Roentgenol. 2012;199(5):1010–7.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Sanuki N, Takeda A, Oku Y, Eriguchi T, Nishimura S, Aoki Y, et al. Threshold doses for focal liver reaction after stereotactic ablative body radiation therapy for small hepatocellular carcinoma depend on liver function: evaluation on magnetic resonance imaging with Gd-EOB-DTPA. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014;88(2):306–11.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Kimura T, Takahashi S, Kenjo M, Nishibuchi I, Takahashi I, Takeuchi Y, et al. Dynamic computed tomography appearance of tumor response after stereotactic body radiation therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma: how should we evaluate treatment effects? Hepatol Res. 2013;43(7):717–27.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Sanuki-Fujimoto N, Takeda A, Ohashi T, Kunieda E, Iwabuchi S, Takatsuka K, et al. CT evaluations of focal liver reactions following stereotactic body radiotherapy for small hepatocellular carcinoma with cirrhosis: relationship between imaging appearance and baseline liver function. Br J Radiol. 2010;83(996):1063–71.PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Okamoto D, Nishie A, Asayama Y, Tajima T, Ishigami K, Kakihara D, et al. Gadolinium ethoxybenzyl diethylenetriamine pentaacetic acid-enhanced MR finding of radiation-induced hepatic injury: relationship to absorbed dose and time course after irradiation. Magn Reson Imaging. 2014;32(6):660–4.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar