Polyurethane grafted attapulgite as novel fillers for nylon 6 nanocomposites
- First Online:
- 164 Downloads
Attapulgite fibers were modified by polyurethane, forming polyurethane grafted attapulgite (AT-PU), which was confirmed by Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR), X-ray diffraction (XRD) and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS). Nylon 6/AT-PU nanocomposites of different modified attapulgite loadings were prepared by melt blending in a twin screw extruder. Scanning electron microscopy (SEM) observation on the fracture surfaces of the nanocomposites showed not only a uniform dispersion of AT-PU but also a strong interfacial adhesion with the matrix. Differential scanning calorimeter (DSC) and Thermogravimetric analyzer (TGA) were used to illustrate the influence of AT-PU particles on the thermal properties of the nylon 6/AT-PU nanocomposites. The results indicated that the addition of attapulgite probably induced the heterogeneous nucleation and was favorable for the formation of γ -crystalline form, and that the higher thermal stability was obtained for the composites.
Key wordspolyurethane grafted attapulgite nylon 6 nanocomposites
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chen G X, Kim H S, Park B H, et al. Multi-walled Carbon Nanotubes Reinforced Nylon 6 Composites[J]. Polymer, 2006, 47: 4 760–4 767Google Scholar
- Tian M, Gao Y, Liu Y, et al. Bis-GMA/TEGDMA Dental Composites Reinforced with Electrospun Nylon 6 Nanocomposite Nanofibers Containing Highly Aligned Fbrillar Silicate Single Crystals[J]. Polymer, 2007, 48:2 720–2 728Google Scholar
- Zhang J P, Chen H, Wang A Q. Study on Superabsorbent Composite. III. Swelling Behaviors of Polyacrylamide/Attapulgite Composite Based on Acidified Attapulgite and Organo-attapulgite[J]. European Polymer Journal, 2005, 41:2 434–2 442Google Scholar
- Wang L H, Sheng J. Preparation and Pproperties of Polypropylene/org-attapulgite Nanocomposites[J]. Polymer, 2005, 46: 6 243–6 249Google Scholar
- Liu Q, Chen D J. Viscoelastic Behaviors of Ppoly(e-Caprolactone)/Attapulgite Nanocomposites[J].European Polymer Journal, 2008, 44: 2 046–2 050Google Scholar
- Zhou H, Zhang S M, Yang M S. The Thermal Conductivity of Nylon 6/Clay Nanocomposites[J]. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2008, 108:3 822–3 827Google Scholar