Packing a fixed number of identical circles in a circular container with circular prohibited areas
- 4 Downloads
In this paper we consider the problem of packing a fixed number of identical circles inside the unit circle container, where the packing is complicated by the presence of fixed size circular prohibited areas. Here the objective is to maximise the radius of the identical circles. We present a heuristic for the problem based upon formulation space search. Computational results are given for six test problems involving the packing of up to 100 circles. One test problem has a single prohibited area made up from the union of circles of different sizes. Four test problems are annular containers, which have a single inner circular prohibited area. One test problem has circular prohibited areas that are disconnected.
KeywordsCircle packing Formulation space search Nonlinear optimisation Prohibited area
The first author has grant support from the programme UNAM-DGAPA-PAPIIT-IA106916.
- 9.Gill, P.E., Murray, W., Saunders, M.A.: User’s guide for SNOPT version 7: software for large-scale nonlinear programming. http://web.stanford.edu/group/SOL/guides/sndoc7.pdf. Last accessed 14 June 2018 (2008)
- 15.Holmström., K., Göran, A.O., Edvall, M.M.: User’s guide for TOMLAB/SNOPT. http://tomopt.com/docs/TOMLAB_SNOPT.pdf. Last accessed 14 June 2018 (2008)
- 18.Li, Y., Akeb, H.: Basic heuristics for packing a great number of equal circles. Working Paper Available From the Second Author at ISC Paris Business School, 22, Bd du Fort de Vaux, 75017 Paris, France (2005)Google Scholar
- 19.López, C.O.: Formulation space search for two-dimensional packing problems. Ph.D. thesis, Brunel University (2013)Google Scholar
- 26.Mladenović, N., Plastria, F., Urošević, D.: Formulation space search for circle packing problems. In: “Engineering Stochastic Local Search Algorithms. Designing, Implementing and Analyzing Effective Heuristics”, Proceedings of the International Workshop, SLS 2007, Brussels, Belgium, Sep 6–8, 2007. Lecture Notes in Computer Science volume 4638, pp. 212–216 (2007)Google Scholar
- 29.Specht, E.: http://www.packomania.com. Last accessed 14 June 2018 (2010)
- 36.Wieman, H.: SSD cable packing. http://www-rnc.lbl.gov/~wieman/SSDpackingcombined.pdf. Last accessed 14 June 2018 (2008)
- 37.Zhuang, X.Y., Yan, L., Chen, L.: Packing equal circles in a damaged square. In: International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN), pp. 1–6. IEEE, New York (2015)Google Scholar