VNDS for the min-power symmetric connectivity problem
- 78 Downloads
We consider the NP-hard problem of synthesis of optimal spanning communication subgraph in a given arbitrary simple edge-weighted graph. This problem occurs in the wireless networks while minimizing total transmission power consumptions. We propose a new method based on the variable neighborhood decomposition search metaheuristic for the approximate solution to the problem. We have performed a numerical experiment where the proposed algorithm was executed on the randomly generated test instances. For these instances, on average, our algorithm significantly outperforms the previously known heuristics, comparing solutions obtained after the same run time. The advantage of the proposed algorithm becomes more noticeable with increasing dimensions of the problem.
KeywordsEnergy efficiency Communication network Symmetric connectivity Variable neighborhood decomposition search
This research is partially supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (Grants No. 16-37-60006, 16-07-00552 and 17-51-45125) and by the framework of the Grant No. BR05236839 “Development of information technologies and systems for stimulation of personality’s sustainable development as one of the bases of development of digital Kazakhstan”.
- 2.Calinescu, G., Mandoiu, I.I., Zelikovsky, A.: Symmetric connectivity with minimum power consumption in radio networks. In: Baeza-Yates, R.A., Montanari, U., Santoro, N. (eds.) Proceedings of 2nd IFIP International Conference on Theoretical Computer Science. IFIP Conference Proceedings, vol. 223, pp. 119–130. Kluwer, Dordrecht (2002)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Clementi, A.E.F., Penna, P., Silvestri, R.: Hardness results for the power range assignment problem in packet radio networks. In: Hochbaum, D.S., Jansen, K., Rolim, J.D.P., Sinclair, A. (eds.) RANDOM 1999 and APPROX 1999. LNCS, vol. 1671, pp. 197–208. Springer, Heidelberg (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Fuchs, B.: On the hardness of range assignment problems. Technical Report, TR05-113, Electronic Colloquium on Computational Complexity (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Hansen, P., Mladenovic, N., Perez-Britos, D.: Variable neighborhood decomposition search. J. Heuristics 7(4), 335–350 (2001)Google Scholar
- 12.Hansen, P., Mladenovic, N.: Variable Neighborhood Search, pp. 313–337. Springer US, Boston (2014)Google Scholar
- 15.Park, J., Sahni, S.: Power assignment for symmetric communication in wireless networks. In: Proceedings of the 11th IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC), pp. 591–596. Washington (2006)Google Scholar
- 16.Plotnikov, R., Erzin, A., Mladenovic, N.: Variable neighborhood search-based heuristics for min-power symmetric connectivity problem in wireless networks. In: Kochetov, Y., et al. (eds.) DOOR-2016. LNCS, vol. 9869, pp. 220–232. Springer, Heidelberg (2016)Google Scholar
- 17.Rappaport, T.S.: Wireless Communications: Principles and Practices. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River (1996)Google Scholar