Nafion-assisted synthesis of palladium nanonetworks as efficient electrocatalysts for hydrogen evolution reaction
- 1 Downloads
In this work, we synthesized a Pd nanonetwork (PdNN) catalyst by employing Nafion as structure-directing agent. The nanonetwork-like structure is interconnected by Pd particles. Moreover, the morphologies and the sizes of PdNN samples can be tunable by adjusting concentrations of Pd precursor. The as-prepared PdNN catalysts have superior hydrogen evolution reaction (HER) performance to that of commercial Pd/C. Among them, PdNN-4.5 catalysts exhibit the most excellent hydrogen evolution performance, which contains an overpotential of 59 mV at 10 mA cm-2 and a Tafel slope of only 54 mV dec-1. Besides, a super stability is also displayed for PdNN-4.5 catalysts. The significant improvement in the HER performance of the PdNN-4.5 catalyst may be attributed to the nanonetwork-like structure, the sizes, and the interaction between the Pd catalysts and Nafion. Thus, this work can provide a simple method for synthesizing the highly efficient Pd-based catalyst for HER.
KeywordsHydrogen evolution reaction Pd nanonetwork structure Electrocatalyst Nafion Catalytic activity
This research was supported by the National Students’ Platform for Innovation and Entrepreneurship Training Program (No. 201510058037), the National Science Foundation of China (51603147), and Science and Technology Correspondent Project of Tianjin (18JCTPJC61300).
- 3.Li M, Wang C, Hu S, Wu H, Feng C, Zhang Y (2019) Nitrogen, phosphorus co-doped mesoporous carbon materials as efficient catalysts for oxygen reduction reaction. IonicsGoogle Scholar
- 6.Wang Y, Senthil RA, Pan J, Sun Y, Osman S, Khan A, Liu X (2019) Facile construction of N-doped Mo2C@CNT composites with 3D nanospherical structures as an efficient electrocatalyst for hydrogen evolution reaction. IonicsGoogle Scholar
- 13.Yu S, Zhao X, Su G, Wang Y, Wang Z, Han K, Zhu H (2019) Synthesis and electrocatalytic performance of a P-Mo-V Keggin heteropolyacid modified Ag@Pt/MWCNTs catalyst for oxygen reduction in proton exchange membrane fuel cell. IonicsGoogle Scholar
- 14.Yuan S, Pu Z, Zhou H, Yu J, Amiinu IS, Zhu J, Liang Q, Yang J, He D, Hu Z, Van Tendeloo G, Mu S (2019) A universal synthesis strategy for single atom dispersed cobalt/metal clusters heterostructure boosting hydrogen evolution catalysis at all pH values. Nano Energy 59472–480Google Scholar
- 18.Zhang X-F, Chen Y, Zhang L, Wang A-J, Wu L-J, Wang Z-G, Feng J-J (2018) Poly-l-lysine mediated synthesis of palladium nanochain networks and nanodendrites as highly efficient electrocatalysts for formic acid oxidation and hydrogen evolution. J Colloid Interface Sci 516:325–331PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Li D-N, He Y-M, Feng J-J, Zhang Q-L, Zhang L, Wu L, Wang A-J (2018) Facile synthesis of prickly platinum-palladium core-shell nanocrystals and their boosted electrocatalytic activity towards polyhydric alcohols oxidation and hydrogen evolution. J Colloid Interface Sci 516:476–483PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 35.Bhowmik T, Kundu MK, Barman S (2016) Palladium nanoparticle-graphitic carbon nitride porous synergistic catalyst for hydrogen evolution/oxidation reactions over a broad range of pH and correlation of its catalytic activity with measured hydrogen binding energy. ACS Catal 6:1929–1941CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 36.Sheng G, Chen J, Li Y, Ye H, Hu Z, Fu X-Z, Sun R, Huang W, Wong C-P (2018) Flowerlike NiCo2S4 hollow sub-microspheres with mesoporous nanoshells support Pd nanoparticles for enhanced hydrogen evolution reaction electrocatalysis in both acidic and alkaline conditions. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 10:22248–22256PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 47.Niu H-J, Chen H-Y, Wen G-L, Feng J-J, Zhang Q-L, Wang A-J (2019) One-pot solvothermal synthesis of three-dimensional hollow PtCu alloyed dodecahedron nanoframes with excellent electrocatalytic performances for hydrogen evolution and oxygen reduction. J Colloid Interface Sci 539:525–532PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 49.Chen H-Y, Jin M-X, Zhang L, Wang A-J, Yuan J, Zhang Q-L, Feng J-J (2019) One-pot aqueous synthesis of two-dimensional porous bimetallic PtPd alloyed nanosheets as highly active and durable electrocatalyst for boosting oxygen reduction and hydrogen evolution. J Colloid Interface Sci 543:1–8PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar