Effect of Si doping on the structure and electrochemical performance of high-voltage LiNi0.5Mn0.5O2 cathode
- 37 Downloads
Despite its high energy density, high-voltage LiNi0.5Mn0.5O2 cathode which suffers from a poor cycle performance that originated from the cathode structural collapse is still far from commercialization. Doping heteroatom into the lattice of LiNi0.5Mn0.5O2 is believed to be a valid strategy in overcoming this bottleneck. Herein, Si was employed as a dopant to comprehensively improve the electrochemical performance of LiNi0.5Mn0.5O2. X-ray diffraction and Rietveld refinement revealed that doping Si into LiNi0.5Mn0.5O2 can optimize its structure, which reduced the degree of Li/Ni cation mixing. As a result, an enhanced interfacial reaction kinetics of Li-ion intercalation/de-intercalation could be achieved, rendering the doped LiNi0.5Mn0.5O2 a remarkably improved reversible capacity in comparison with its pristine. Moreover, it was found that Li0.99Si0.01Ni0.5Mn0.5O2 showed a significantly higher capacity than LiNi0.5Mn0.5O2 does at 25 °C. It is believed that this work affords an effective strategy for high-performance LiNi0.5Mn0.5O2 cathode.
KeywordsLithium-ion battery LiNi0.5Mn0.5O2 cathode material Si doping High-voltage
This work was supported by the Science and Technology Project of Xining Science and Technology Bureau (2017-G-05) and the Hunan Provincial Science and Technology Plan Project (nos. 2016TP1007 and 2017TP1001).
- 3.Wang Q, Zhang H, Cui Z, Zhou Q, Shangguan X, Tian S, Zhou X, Cui G (2019) Siloxane-based polymer electrolytes for solid-state lithium batteries. Energy Storage Mater. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ensm.2019.04.016
- 9.Reale P, Privitera D, Panero S, Scrosati B (2007) An investigation on the effect of Li+/Ni2+ cation mixing on electrochemical performances and analysis of the electron conductivity properties of LiCo0.33Mn0.33M0.33O2. Solid State Ionics 178(23–24):1390–1397. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssi.2007.07.016 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Labrini M, Saadoune I, Scheiba F, Almaggoussi A, Elhaskouri J, Amoros P, Ehrenberg H, Brotz J (2013) Magnetic and structural approach for understanding the electrochemical behavior of LiNi0.33Co0.33Mn0.33O2 positive electrode material. Electrochim Acta 111:567–574. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2013.08.051 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Pan CJ, Lee YJ, Ammundsen B, Grey CP (2002) Li-6 MAS NMR studies of the local structure and electrochemical properties of Cr-doped lithium manganese and lithium cobalt oxide cathode materials for lithium-ion batteries. Chem Mater 14(5):2289–2299. https://doi.org/10.1021/cm011623u CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Wang D, Li X, Wang Z, Guo H, Xu Y, Fan Y, Ru J (2016) Role of zirconium dopant on the structure and high voltage electrochemical performances of LiNi0.5Co0.2Mn0.3O2 cathode materials for lithium ion batteries. Electrochim Acta 188:48–56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2015.11.093 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Liu Z, Hong Z, Tan L, Yuan S, Yin H (2018) Ba-doping improving the cycling stability of LiNi0.5Mn0.5O2 cathode material at high voltage. Energy TechnologyGoogle Scholar