A comparative study of Nafion and sulfonated poly(ether ether ketone) membrane performance for iron-chromium redox flow battery
- 157 Downloads
A low-cost sulfonated poly(ether ether ketone) (SPEEK) membrane with optimized degree of sulfonation (DS) has been successfully synthesized and applied in iron-chromium redox flow battery (ICRFB) in comparison with Nafion membrane. The SPEEK membrane with an optimum DS of 55% exhibits the cell performance of CE 98.53% and EE 79.13% at 80 mA cm−2 due to its longer charge retention and lower metallic ion crossover, while Nafion 115 membrane exhibits the cell performance of CE 95.97% and EE 82.33%. In addition, the SPEEK membrane demonstrates stable cell performance with slower discharge capacity decline, lower self-discharge rate, and highly stable efficiency. SPEEK membrane performs superior chemical stability in the highly oxidizing electrolytes as well, which is comparable to Nafion 115. Furthermore, the capital cost of ICRBF with SPEEK membrane occupies 5% of the overall system cost, which is 34% lower than that of ICRFB with Nafion membrane for 1 MW-8 h energy storage system.
KeywordsIron-chromium redox flow battery (ICRFB) Ion-exchange membrane (IEM) Sulfonated poly(ether ether ketone) (SPEEK) Nafion Low cost
Chuan-Yu Sun gratefully acknowledges the kind support from the 157 Group, especially Mr. Hu-Bing Xiao and Prof. Bin Jiang for their care and sharing.
This work was financially supported by National Natural Science Funds of China (Grant No. 51702144), the Fundamental Research Funds for the Colleges and Universities in Liaoning Province (2017LNQN15).
- 7.Wang N, Liu S (2013) Preparation and properties of separation membranes for vanadium redox flow battery[J]. Progress in chemistry 25(1):60–68Google Scholar
- 9.Yuan Z, Zhang H, Li X (2018) Ion conducting membranes for aqueous flow battery systems[J]. Chem Commun 54:7550–7558Google Scholar
- 16.Kim YS, Oh SH, Kim E et al (2018) Iron-chrome crossover through Nafion membrane in iron-chrome redox flow battery[J]. Korean Chem Eng Res 56(1):24–28Google Scholar
- 22.Luo XC, Ye JY, Lu X et al Highly efficient and low cost SPEEK/TiO2 nanocomposite membrane for vanadium redox flow battery[J]. J Nanosci Nanotechnol 19:2247–2252Google Scholar
- 28.Zhang J, Wang G, Wang F, F et al (2016) Sulfonated poly (ether ether ketone)/TiO2 double-deck membrane for vanadium redox flow battery application[J]. J Electroanal Chem 783:76–81Google Scholar
- 44.J. X, W. Dai, L. Yu. Polydopamine coated SPEEK membrane for a vanadium redox flow battery[J]. RSC Adv, 2015, 5(42):33400–33406Google Scholar