CuFe2O4 magnetic nanoparticles to improve the ionic transfer properties of electrodialysis heterogeneous cation exchange membrane
- 17 Downloads
Mixed matrix polyvinyl chloride-copper ferrite nanoparticles cation exchange membranes were prepared by casting solution technique. The effect of CuFe2O4 nanoparticles concentration on electrochemical properties of prepared membranes was investigated. The CuFe2O4 nanoparticles were synthesized by chemical precipitation technique. The formation of copper ferrite nanoparticles was characterized by Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR), scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and X-ray diffraction (XRD). Scanning microscopy images showed uniform distribution of particles in the membrane matrix. Membrane surface hydrophilicity and charge density, membranes potential, transport number (> 97%) and permselectivity (> 96%) were enhanced by using CuFe2O4 nanoparticles in the membrane body. Also, ion exchange capacity and cation flux were increased initially by utilizing CuFe2O4 nanoparticles up to 1 wt% in the casting solution and then followed by a decreasing trend by adding more concentration up to 8 wt%. The PVC-CuFe2O4 membranes displayed lower electrical resistance (< 4 Ω.Cm2) compared to unmodified ones.
KeywordsCuFe2O4 nanoparticles Heterogeneous membrane Electrochemical property Electrodialysis
This research is financially supported by Arak University.
- 2.Hosseini SM, Gholami A, Koranian P, Nemati M, Madaeni SS, Moghadassi AR (2014) Electrochemical characterization of mixed matrix heterogeneous cation exchange membrane modified by aluminium oxide nanoparticles: mono/bivalent ionic transportation. J Taiwan Inst Chem Eng 45:1241–1248CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Chauhan S, Ojha C, Shrivastava AK (2009) Synthesis and characterization of CuFe2O4 nanoparticles. Int J Theor Appl Sci 1:9–11Google Scholar
- 18.Tanaka Y (2007) Ion exchange membranes: fundamentals and applications, membrane science and technology series, 12. Elsevier, NetherlandsGoogle Scholar
- 22.Stumm W, Morgan JJ (1996) Aquatic chemistry, 3rd edn. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 25.Sata T (2004) Ion exchange membranes: preparation, characterization, modification and application. The Royal Society of Chemistry, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- 26.Eckertova L (1986) Physics of thin films, 2nd edn. Plenum Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar