Enhanced electrochemical performance of LiMn2O4 by SiO2 modifying via electrostatic attraction forces method
SiO2-modified LiMn2O4 materials were synthesized by the electrostatic attraction forces with the followed heat treatment. The surface morphology, structure, and electrochemical performance were characterized by scanning electron microscope (SEM), X-ray diffraction (XRD), CV, and electrochemical impedance spectroscopies (EIS), respectively. SEM and XRD patterns revealed that SiO2 was not only coated on the surface, but also partial Si4+ ions diffused into the crystal structure. As a result, the spinel LiMn2O4 modified with 2.0 wt.% SiO2 (LiMn2O4@SiO2-2.0 wt.%) exhibits a discharge specific capacity of 101.2 mAh g−1 over 3.0–4.3 V and with a capacity retention of 97.6% after 100 cycles at 25 °C. Even cycled at 55 °C, its capacity retention is still 88.7%. The excellent electrochemical performance is attributed to the improved reversibility and dynamic behaviors after SiO2 modification. Partial Si4+ doping in LiMn2O4 assists to stabilize its crystal structure, while the SiO2 coating layer on the surface of LiMn2O4 materials helps to reduce the attacks of electrolyte and the dissolution of Mn2+.
KeywordsLithium ion batteries SiO2-coated Electrostatic attraction forces Spinel lithium manganese oxides Cathode material
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 50174058) and the kind support from the Government of Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region (Glorious Laurel Scholar Program, 2011).
- 3.Niraj K , Prasad K G , Maiyalagan T , et al (2018) Precise control on morphology of ultrafine LiMn2O4 nanorods as supercapacitor electrode via two-step hydrothermal method. CrystEngComm 20(6). https://doi.org/10.1039/C8CE01029C
- 6.Wohlfahrt-Mehrens M, Vogler C, Garche J (2004) Aging mechanisms of lithium cathode materials. J Power Sources 127:58–64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2003.09.034
- 8.Xia Y, Sakai T, Fujieda T, Yang XQ, Sun X, Ma ZF, McBreen J, Yoshio M (2001) Correlating capacity fading and structural changes in Li [sub 1+y]Mn[sub 2−y]O[sub 4−δ] spinel cathode materials: a systematic study on the effects of Li/Mn ratio and oxygen deficiency. J Electrochem Soc 148:A723. https://doi.org/10.1149/1.1376117 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Chen X, He W, Ding L-X, Wang S, Wang H (2019) Enhancing interfacial contact in all solid state batteries with a cathode-supported solid electrolyte membrane framework. Energy Environ Sci https://doi.org/10.1039/C8EE02617C
- 20.Fan Y, Wang J, Tang Z et al (2007) Effects of the nanostructured SiO2 coating on the performance of LiNi0.5Mn1.5O4 cathode materials for high-voltage Li-ion batteries. Electrochimica Acta 52:3870–3875. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta
- 26.Iturrondobeitia A, Goñi A, Palomares V, Gil de Muro I, Lezama L, Rojo T (2012) Effect of doping LiMn2O4 spinel with a tetravalent species such as Si(IV) versus with a trivalent species such as Ga(III). Electrochemical, magnetic and ESR study. J Power Sources 216:482–488. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2012.06.031 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Zhao H, Liu X, Cheng C, Li Q, Zhang Z, Wu Y, Chen B, Xiong W (2015) Synthesis and electrochemical characterizations of spinel LiMn1.94MO4 (M = Mn0.06, Mg0.06, Si0.06, (Mg0.03Si0.03)) compounds as cathode materials for lithium-ion batteries. J Power Sources 282:118–128. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2015.02.049 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Zhao H, Liu S, Wang Z, Cai Y, Tan M, Liu X (2016) Enhanced elevated-temperature performance of LiAlxSi0.05Mg0.05Mn1.90-xO4(0≤x≤0.08) cathode materials for high-performance lithium-ion batteries. Electrochim Acta 199:18–26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2016.03.121
- 29.Zhao H, Liu S, Wang Z, Cai Y, Tan M, Liu X (2016) LiSixMn2−xO4(x≤0.10) cathode materials with improved electrochemical properties prepared via a simple solid-state method for high-performance lithium-ion batteries. Ceram Int 42:13442–13448. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ceramint.2016.05.131 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Fan XF, Zhao SX, Li L, Nan CW (2012) Structure and electrochemical performance of Modificated by S-Co codoping and Nano SiO2 surface coating. Mater Sci Forum 722:1–9. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.722.1 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 40.Stiaszny B, Ziegler JC, Krauß EE, et al (2014) Electrochemical characterization and post-mortem analysis of aged LiMn2O4–NMC/graphite lithium ion batteries part II: Calendar aging. Journal of Power Sources 258:61–75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2014.02.019
- 41.Zhang Z, Chen Z, Wang G, Ren H, Pan M, Xiao L, Wu K, Zhao L, Yang J, Wu Q, Shu J, Wang D, Zhang H, Huo N, Li J (2016) Dual-doping to suppress cracking in spinel LiMn2O4: a joint theoretical and experimental study. Phys Chem Chem Phys 18:6893–6900. https://doi.org/10.1039/c5cp07182h CrossRefGoogle Scholar