Electrochemical and optical studies of two synthesized cobalt complexes as anti-corrosion agent for low-carbon steel in HCl medium
- 55 Downloads
Two novel synthesized Co(II) complexes, named diacetato(1-(2-methoxyphenyl)-N-(2-(phenylthio)phenyl)methanimine)cobalt(II) (CoMPM) and diacetato(2-(phenylthio)phenyl)-1-(2-(trifluoromethyl)phenyl)methanimine)cobalt(II) (CoPFM), have been investigated as an anti-corrosion agent for low-carbon steel in 1.0 M HCl solution. The protection performance of Co(II) complexes was evaluated using electrochemical and optical methods. The inhibition efficiency was investigated as a function of exposure time, inhibitor concentration, and different potentiostatic potentials. CoPFM (99.4%) was found more efficient as a corrosion inhibitor in negative potentiostatic polarization conditions than CoMPM (98.4%). However, CoMPM (99.2%) showed a better protection when it was compared to CoPFM (95.7%) at the end of 120-h immersion.
KeywordsHCl Inhibition Carbon steel Optical methods Electrochemical methods
Financial support from the Scientific and Technical Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK) (project no. 113Z497) is gratefully acknowledged.
- 2.Negm NA, Kandile NG, Aiad IA, Mohammad MA ((2011)) New eco-friendly cationic surfactants: synthesis, characterization and applicability as corrosion inhibitors for carbon steel in 1 N HCl. Colloid Surf A 391:5224–5233Google Scholar
- 10.Keleş M, Yılmaz MK (2014) Synthesis, characterization and catalytic activity of new aminomethyldiphosphine-Pd(II) complexes for Suzuki cross-coupling reaction. Appl Organomet Chem 28(30):91–94Google Scholar
- 22.Karimi A, Danaee I, Eskandari H, RashvanAvei M (2015) Electrochemical investigations on the inhibition behavior and adsorption isotherm of synthesized di-(resacetophenone)-1,2-cyclohexandiimine Schiff base on the corrosion of steel in 1 M HCl. Protect Met Phys Chem Surf 51:899–907CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Soltani N, Salavati H, Rasouli N, Paziresh M, Moghadasi A (2016) Adsorption and corrosion inhibition effect of Schiff base ligands on low carbon steel corrosion in hydrochloric acid solution. Chem Eng Commun 203:840–854Google Scholar
- 29.Yan Y, Li W, Cai L, Hou B ((2008)) Electrochemical and quantum chemical study of purines as corrosion inhibitors for mild steel in 1 M HCl solution. Electrochim Acta 53:5953–5960Google Scholar
- 30.Rochdi A, Kassou O, Dkhireche N, Touir R, El Bakri M, Ebn Touhami M, Sfaira M, Mernari B, Hammouti B (2014) Inhibitive properties of 2,5-bis(n-methylphenyl)-1,3,4-oxadiazole and biocide on corrosion, biocorrosion and scaling controls of brass in simulated cooling water. Corros Sci 80:442–452CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 34.Bentiss F, Lebrini M, Vezin H, Chai F, Traisnel M, Lagrené M (2009) Enhanced corrosion resistance of carbon steel in normal sulfuric acid medium by some macrocyclic polyether compounds containing a 1,3,4-thiadiazole moiety: AC impedance and computational studies. Corros Sci 51:2165–2173CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 42.Marin-Cruz J, Cabrera-Sierra R, Pech-Canul MA, Gonzalez I ((2006)) EIS study on corrosion and scale processes and their inhibition in cooling system media. Electrochim Acta 51:1847–1854Google Scholar
- 47.Radoi A, Compagnone D, Valcarcel MA, Placidi P, Materazzi S, Moscone D, Palleschi G ((2008)) Detection of NADH via electrocatalytic oxidation at single-walled carbon nanotubes modified with Variamine blue. Electrochim Acta 53:2161–2169Google Scholar
- 49.Gadow HS, Motawea MM (2017) Investigation of the corrosion inhibition of carbon steel in hydrochloric acid solution by using ginger roots extract. RSC Adv 7(24):576–24,588Google Scholar