Effect of nickel in TiO2-SiO2-GO-based DSSC by using a sol-gel method
- 55 Downloads
A series of dye-sensitized solar cell (DSSC) TiO2-(SiO2)100-xNix-GO (TSN) (x = 0.0, 2.5, 5.0, 7.5) films were successfully prepared using a sol-gel method via doctor-blade technique. Tetraethyl-orthosilicate (TEOS), absolute ethanol (C2H5OH), deionized water, and acid ammonia were mixed in one solution. Nickel (II) nitrate hexahydrate (Ni(NO3)2.6H2O) and diethanolamine were added to the prepared solution to produce the precursor of (SiO2)100-xNix. This work is to determine the influence of Ni2+ in the TiO2-SiO2-GO-based DSSC performances. The films were prepared by SiO2 amorphous without Ni2+ and added with Ni2+ at 2.5, 5.0, and 7.5%, respectively. The crystal structure and morphology properties of the films were analyzed using X-ray diffraction (XRD), field-emission scanning electron microscopy (FESEM), and energy dispersion X-ray. FESEM images showed the amount of Ni2+ was found to increase the grain growth of TSN2.5 and TSN7.5 films ranging from 30.14 to 40.19 nm and 48.01 to 77.04 nm, respectively. The structural characteristics of TiO2-(SiO2)100-xNix-GO are confirmed as anatase phase and belong to TiO2 with a characteristic peak of (101) as a predominant peak. The photovoltaic performances were analyzed using J–V measurement and electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS) to determine the factors that influence the performance of the DSSCs. Hence, this study suggests that the TSN7.5 films exhibited the highest cell performance, presenting a Jsc, Voc, FF, and cell efficiency of 20.52 mA/cm2, 0.230 V, 0.391, and 1.843%, respectively. TiO2-(SiO2)100-xNix-GO doped with 7.5% Ni provide larger diffusion rate, low recombination effect, and longer electron lifetime, thus enhancing the performance of DSSCs.
KeywordsDye-sensitized solar cells (DSSCs) Sol-gel Nickel Graphene oxide (GO) and titanium dioxide-silica dioxide (TiO2-SiO2)
This work is supported by Project No.: UKM-DIP-2016-021 and Photonics Technology Laboratory (IMEN), Department of Electrical, Electronic & Systems Engineering, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Bangi, Selangor, Malaysia.
- 6.B. Khodadadi, “Nickel doping effect on the photocatalytic activity of TiO2/SiO2 nanocomposite,” vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 238–243, 2016Google Scholar
- 14.M. Bonomo, G. Naponiello, Di Carlo A, and D. Dini, (2016)“Characterization of screen-printed nickel oxide electrodes for p-type dye-sensitized solar cells,” vol. 4, no. 2Google Scholar
- 15.J. Tian, H. Gao, H. Kong, P. Yang, W. Zhang, and J. Chu, “Influence of transition metal doping on the structural, optical, and magnetic properties of TiO2 films deposited on Si substrates by a sol—gel process,” pp. 1–11, 2013Google Scholar
- 17.H. Abdullah, A. Omar, M. Z. Razali, and M. A. Yarmo, (2014)“Photovoltaic properties of ZnO photoanode incorporating with CNTs for dye-sensitized solar cell application,” vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 1023–1030Google Scholar
- 18.Mahalingam S, Abdullah H, Shaari S, Muchtar A, Asshari I (2015) Structural, morphological, and electron transport studies of annealing dependent In2O3 dye-sensitized solar cell. Hindawi 2015:1–11Google Scholar
- 19.M. Z. Razali, H. Abdullah, S. Shaari, M. R. Taha, and M. A. Yarmo, (2014)“Effect of heat treatment on CNT/TiO2 photoelectrode for dye-sensitized solar cells application,” vol. 28, pp. 151–162Google Scholar
- 21.V. Georgakilas et al., (2012) “Functionalization of graphene: covalent and non-covalent approaches, derivatives and applicationsGoogle Scholar
- 22.P. Hermawan, H. D. Pranowo, and I. Kartini, (2011)“Physical characterization of Ni ( ii ) doped TiO2 nanocrystal by sol-gel process,” vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 135–139Google Scholar
- 23.R. Mori, T. Ueta, and K. Sakai, (2010) “Organic solvent based TiO2 dispersion paste for dye-sensitized solar cells prepared by industrial production level procedureGoogle Scholar
- 24.C. Woo Park. Suresh Kumar Dhungel, (2013)“Impact of size distribution of nanoparticles in TiO2 paste for its application in dye sensitized solar cells,” vol. 4 IF-25, pp. 27–31Google Scholar