Electrochemical impedance spectroscopic studies on aging-dependent electrochemical degradation of p-toluene sulfonic acid-doped polypyrrole thin film
- 139 Downloads
The conducting polymer polypyrrole thin film was galvanostatically polymerized on stainless steel substrate for the supercapacitor electrode. The electrochemical stability of the electrode was monitored each 30 days of aging up to 90 days. The FTIR analysis showed an increase in intensity of the absorption peaks, especially high growth of the carbonyl peaks after 90 days of aging. The electrochemical capacitance degradation of the electrode was studied using cyclic voltammetric and galvanostatic charge/discharge analysis in 1 M Na2SO4 electrolyte, which showed ~ 53% of fading in the initial specific capacitance value after 90 days. Further, the electrochemical degradation of polypyrrole electrodes was analyzed in detail using electrochemical impedance spectroscopy. The analysis showed a large increase in the internal resistance and low-power deliverability of the electrode with respect to aging as the main reasons for the degradation of specific capacitance of the polypyrrole electrode.
KeywordsPolypyrrole Impedance spectroscopy Supercapacitor Charge transfer resistance Polymer degradation
The authors would like to acknowledge authorities of Dongguk University, Seoul, for their moral and financial support.
- 6.Balamuralitharan B, Karthick SN, Balasingam SK, Hemalatha KV, Selvam S, Raj JA, Prabakar K, Jun Y, Kim H-J (2017) Hybrid reduced graphene oxide/manganese diselenide cubes: a new electrode material for supercapacitors. Energy Technol 5(11):1953–1962. https://doi.org/10.1002/ente.201700097 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Rajesh M, Raj CJ, Kim BC, Manikandan R, Kim S-J, Park SY, Lee K, Yu KH (2016) Expeditious and eco-friendly hydrothermal polymerization of PEDOT nanoparticles for binder-free high performance supercapacitor electrodes. RSC Adv 6(111):110433–110443. https://doi.org/10.1039/C6RA22958A CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Balasingam SK, Thirumurugan A, Lee JS, Jun Y (2016) Amorphous MoSx thin-film-coated carbon fiber paper as a 3D electrode for long cycle life symmetric supercapacitors. Nano 8:11787–11791Google Scholar
- 20.Kumar A, Singh RK, Singh HK, Srivastava P, Singh R (2014) Enhanced capacitance and stability of p-toluenesulfonate doped polypyrrole/carbon composite for electrode application in electrochemical capacitors. J Power Sources 246:800–807. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2013.07.121 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 36.Pavia DL, Lampman GM, Kriz GS, Vyvyan JR (2008) Introduction to spectroscopy, 4th edn. Brooks/Cole Cengage Learning, BelmontGoogle Scholar
- 52.Abdulhakeem B, Farshad B, Damilola M, Fatemeh T, Mopeli F, Julien D, Ncholu M (2014) Morphological characterization and impedance spectroscopy study of porous 3D carbons based on graphene foam-PVA/phenol-formaldehyde resin composite as an electrode material for supercapacitors. RSC Adv 4(73):39066. https://doi.org/10.1039/C4RA05425C CrossRefGoogle Scholar