Electrochemical, morphological, and spectroscopic study of poly(aniline-co-o-bromoaniline) (PA-co-o-BrA) conducting copolymer
- 76 Downloads
A series of moderately conducting and soluble copolymers of poly(aniline-co-o-bromoaniline) (PA-co-o-BrA) having different compositions was obtained by in the situ copolymerization method using different concentrations of monomer units of aniline and o-bromoaniline in the feed. The physio-chemical properties of the copolymers have been studied with sophisticated instrumental techniques. The electrochemical study of the copolymers was conducted by cyclic voltammetry. The band gap of the highest occupied molecular orbital (HOMO) and lowest unoccupied molecular orbital (LUMO) of the copolymers was evaluated by UV-vis spectroscopy. The morphological study was conducted by scanning electron microscopy and transmission electron microscopy at high magnification which shows non-uniform tubular to globular morphology of the copolymers. Surface profiles of the polymers were studied by AFM analyses, and it has confirmed the smooth surface of the copolymers while the homopolymers possesses non-uniform surfaces. The particle size distribution curve indicates that the particle sizes vary in the range of 5 to 9000 nm, and a small fraction of particles possess a size in the range of 5–10 nm.
KeywordsPolyaniline Oxidative copolymerization Poly-o-bromoaniline Conductive polymers Cyclic voltammetry AFM TEM SEM
Funding for the current research from Qatar University, and University of South Africa (UNISA) is gratefully acknowledged.
- 1.Duong NN, Hyeonseok Y (2016) Polymers 8(118):1–38Google Scholar
- 5.Amer I, Mokrani T, Jewell L, Young DA, Vosloo HCM (2016) Tetrahedron Lett 57:426–430Google Scholar
- 20.Waware US, Mohd Rashid, Summers GJ (2014) J Adv Phys 3:1–6Google Scholar
- 21.Gupta MC, Umare SS, Huque MM, Visvanath SG (1997) Ind J Chem 36 B:703–710Google Scholar
- 22.Umare SS, Huque MM, Gupta MC, Visvanath SG (1996) Macromol Rep A33:381–389Google Scholar