Photocatalytic properties of Ta-doped TiO2
- 355 Downloads
This work reports the effect of tantalum (0.1–1 at.% Ta) on the photocatalytic performance of TiO2 annealed at 1373 and 1673 K in air. It was shown that addition of tantalum resulted in an increase of photocatalytic activity of TiO2 for the specimens annealed at 1373 K. However, the activity of the Ta-doped TiO2 specimens annealed at 1673 K was reduced. The effect of tantalum on the photocatalytic performance at 1373 K was rationalised in terms of an increased concentration of titanium vacancies acting as the active surface sites, and increased charge transport. In this work, it was also shown that the band gap reduction due to tantalum incorporation had little effect on photocatalytic performance. The effect of annealing at 1673 K on photocatalytic activity was explained in terms of reduced surface segregation of tantalum.
KeywordsDefect chemistry Water oxidation Titanium dioxide
The authors would like to thank AINSE Ltd. for providing financial assistance (Award—PGRA) to enable work on the surface characterisation of the specimens.
- 30.Nowotny J (2012) Oxide semiconductors for solar energy conversion: titanium dioxide. CRC Press, Boca RatonGoogle Scholar
- 34.Znad H, Ang MH, Tade MO (2012) Ta/TiO2-and Nb/TiO2-mixed oxides as efficient solar photocatalysts: preparation, characterization, and photocatalytic activity. Int J Photoenergy 2012Google Scholar
- 39.Yang M (2012) Band gap engineering and carrier transport in TiO2 for solar energy harvesting. University of Pittsburgh, PittsburghGoogle Scholar
- 47.Kröger FA, Vink HJ (1956) Relations between the concentrations of imperfections in crystalline solids. In: Frederick S, David T (eds) Solid state physics. Academic Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, pp 307–435Google Scholar
- 52.Kubelka P, Munk F (1931) Ein beitrag zur potik der farbanstriche. Z Tech Physik 12:593Google Scholar