Adapting the ionic transfer behavior of cation exchange membrane incorporated with SiO2/PAA composite nanoparticles
- 122 Downloads
In this study, silicon dioxide nanoparticles (SiO2 NPs) were functionalized by polyacrylic acid (PAA) then used as the modifier agent in polyvinyl chloride (PVC)-based heterogeneous cation exchange membranes (CEMs). FTIR technique and SEM images were employed to characterize the synthesized SiO2/PAA. All the experiments were carried out at ambient condition. According to the experiments, CEMs modified by SiO2/PAA have more hydrophilic and smoother surface. Membrane water content reduced from 32.2% for the base membrane to 20.1% for modified membrane containing 4.0%wt SiO2/PAA. Modified CEMs showed an improved potential, transport number, selectivity, and electrical conductivity. The selectivity of modified membrane (containing 0.5%wt SiO2/PAA) is 87.3%, and its electrical conductivity is about 37% less than the base membrane. The mechanical stability of prepared membranes was also improved about 25.4%. Moreover, sodium flux increased sharply (21%) loading 0.5%wt NPs in the structure and then reduced by more SiO2/PAA concentration. In addition, membrane ionic flux decreased obviously for bivalent ions by using SiO2/PAA nanoparticles. The prepared membranes showed higher permeability/flux for monovalent ions compared to bivalent type.
KeywordsHeterogeneous cation exchange membrane SiO2/PAA composite nanoparticles Fabrication/electrochemical characterization Deionization
The authors gratefully acknowledge Arak University for the financial support during this research.
- 10.Mikhaylin S, Nikonenko V, Pismenskaya N, Pourcelly G, Choi S, Kwon HJ, Han J, Bazinet L (2016) How physico-chemical and surface properties of cation-exchange membrane affect membrane scaling and electro convective vortices: influence on performance of electrodialysis with pulsed electric field. Desalination 393:102–114CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Hosseini SM, Rahzani B, Asiani H, Khodabakhshi AR, Hamidi AR, Madaeni SS, Moghadassi AR, Seidypoor A (2014) Surface modification of heterogeneous cation exchange membranes by simultaneous using polymerization of (acrylic acid-co-methyl methacrylate): membrane characterization in desalination process. Desalination 345:13–20CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Hosseini SM, Gholami A, Koranian P, Nemati M, Madaeni SS, Moghadassi AR (2014) Electrochemical characterization of mixed matrix heterogeneous cation exchange membrane modified by aluminum oxide nanoparticles: mono/bivalent ionic transportation. J Taiwan Inst Chem Eng 45:1241–1248CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Ghaemi N, Madaeni SS, Daraei P, Rajabi H, Zinadini S, Alizadeh A, Heydari R, Beygzadeh M, Ghouzivand S (2015) Polyethersulfone membrane enhanced with iron oxide nanoparticles for copper removal from water: application of new functionalized Fe3O4 nanoparticles. Chem Eng J 263:101–112CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Lide DR (2006) CRC handbook of chemistry and physics, 87th edn. CRC Press, Boca RatonGoogle Scholar
- 36.Sata T (2004) Ion exchange membranes: preparation, characterization, modification and application. The Royal Society of Chemistry, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- 37.Tanaka Y (2007) Ion exchange membranes: fundamentals and applications. Membrane science and technology series, vol 12. Elsevier, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar