Radioactive tracer application to study the thermodynamics of ion exchange reactions using Tulsion A-23 and Indion-454
- 56 Downloads
In the present investigation, short-lived radioisotopes were applied to study the thermodynamics of ion-isotopic exchange reactions using Tulsion A-23 (nuclear grade) and Indion-454 (non-nuclear grade) anion exchange resins. It was observed during the bromide ion-isotopic exchange reaction using Tulsion A-23 resins that the enthalpy and energy of activation values calculated were 6,831.1 and 9,412.6 J mol−1, respectively, which were less than the respective values of 7,277.9 and 9,859.4 J mol−1 obtained for the same reaction using Indion-454 resins. The identical trend was observed for the two resins during the iodide ion-isotopic exchange reaction. The thermodynamic data suggest that Tulsion A-23 resins were more efficient than Indion-454. This was further confirmed from the fact that under identical experimental conditions higher amount of ions were exchanged using Tulsion A-23 resins as compared to those using Indion-454 resins. The overall results reveal superior performance of Tulsion A-23 over Indion-454 resins under identical experimental conditions.
KeywordsReaction thermodynamic Radio analytical technique Tracer isotopes Anion exchange resins Tulsion A-23 Indion-454 131I 82Br Nuclear grade resins Characterization
The author is thankful to Professor Dr. R.S. Lokhande (Retired) for his valuable help and support by providing the required facilities so as to carry out the experimental work in Radiochemistry Laboratory, Department of Chemistry, University of Mumbai, Vidyanagari, Mumbai -58.
- 1.Marhol M (1982) Comprehensive analytical chemistry. Ion Exchang XIV:117–160Google Scholar
- 3.Samanta, S.K., Ramaswamy, M., Sen, P., Varadarajan, N., Singh, R.K., (1993) Removal of radiocesium from alkaline IL waste, Natl Symp. On Management of Radioactive and Toxic Wastes (SMART-93), Kalpakkam, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Bombay 56–58Google Scholar
- 5.Kulkarni, Y., Samanta, S.K., Bakre, S.Y., Raj, K., Kumra, M.S., (1996) Process for treatment of intermediate level radioactive waste based on radionuclide separation, Waste Management’96 (Proc. Int. Symp Tucson,AZ, 1996), Arizona Board of Regents, Phoenix, AZ (CD-ROM)Google Scholar
- 6.Bray L.A., Elovich R.J., Carson K.J., (1990) Cesium recovery using Savannah River laboratory resorcinol-formaldehyde ion exchange resin, rep. PNL-7273, Pacific Northwest Lab., Richland, WAGoogle Scholar
- 13.Sood, D. D., (1998) Proc. Int. Conf. on Applications of radioisotopes and radiation in industrial development, ed. Sood, D. D., Reddy, A. V. R., Iyer, S. R. K., Gangadharan, S., Singh, G., (B.A.R.C., India) 35–53Google Scholar
- 14.Lokhande RS, Singare PU, Patil AB (2007) Application of radioactive tracer technique on industrial grade ion exchange resins Indion-830 (type-1) and Indion N-IP (type-2). Radiochim Acta 95(01):111–114Google Scholar