Electrocatalytic determination of sulfite using a modified carbon nanotubes paste electrode: application for determination of sulfite in real samples
This paper introduces a carbon paste electrode modified with ferrocene and carbon nanotubes as a voltammetric sensor for determination of sulfite at pH 7.0. The results showed that under the optimum condition (pH 7.0) in cyclic voltammetry, the oxidation of sulfite occurred at a potential about 280 mV less positive than the unmodified carbon paste electrode. Kinetic parameters such as electron transfer coefficient (α) and heterogeneous rate constant (k) for sulfite were also determined using electrochemical approaches. Under the optimized conditions, the electrocatalytic oxidation peak current of sulfite showed two linear dynamic ranges with a detection limit of 0.1 μM for sulfite. The proposed method was examined as a selective, simple, and precise method for voltammetric determination of sulfite in some real samples such as weak liquor from wood and paper industry, boiler water, river water, industrial water, and tap water.
KeywordsSulfite Carbon nanotubes paste electrode Ferrocene Voltammetry Electrocatalysis
The authors wish to thank Islamic Azad University, Qaemshahr and Majlesi Branch, and the Iranian Nanotechnology Initiative Council for their support.
- 7.Mazloum Ardakani M, Habibollahi F, Zare HR, Naeimi H (2008) Int J Electrochem Sci 3:1236Google Scholar
- 10.Ensafi AA, Karimi-Maleh H (2010) Int J Electrochem Sci 5:392Google Scholar
- 11.Raoof JB, Ojani R, Karimi-Maleh H (2008) Asian J Chem 20:483Google Scholar
- 22.Ensafi AA, Rezaei B, Krimi-Maleh H (2011) Ionics doi: 10.1007/s11581-011-0562-2
- 26.Yaghoubian H, Karimi-Maleh H, Khalilzadeh MA, Karimi F (2009) Int J Electrochem Sci 4:993Google Scholar
- 31.Galus Z (1976) Fundamentals of electrochemical analysis. Ellis Horwood, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 32.Sjöström E (1981) Wood chemistry, fundamentals and applications. Academic, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 35.Raoof JB, Ojani R, Karimi-Maleh H (2007) Int J Electrochem Sci 2:257Google Scholar