Brand Positioning and Anti-counterfeiting Effectiveness
- 959 Downloads
We pursue the previously-noted association between brands and counterfeiting one step further to examine the relationship between brand positioning and anti-counterfeiting, based on a study of 130 well-known foreign brands in China.
We test hypotheses about managerial perceptions as to the effects of different brand positioning strategies on the effectiveness of their actions to counter counterfeiting, in other words, whether branding positioning can help to stop counterfeiting, limit damage to firms and maintain brand reputation.
Our findings confirm that brand positioning affects anti-counterfeiting effectiveness. Specifically, product reliability and customer services are compatible with efforts to stop counterfeit production, but innovative technologies and product features and functions appear to exacerbate the problem.
KeywordsAnti-counterfeiting strategy Brand Brand positioning China Counterfeiting Effectiveness
We would like to express our sincere appreciation to the journal editors and the anonymous reviewers for their helpful comments in the process of revising this paper.
- Aaker, D. A., Managing Brand Positioning, New York: Free Press 1991.Google Scholar
- Balfour, F. et al., Fakes, Business Week, 3919, 2005, pp. 54–64.Google Scholar
- Christensen, C. M./Cook, S./Hall, T., Marketing Malpractice: The Cause and the Cure, Harvard Business Review, 83, 12, 2005, pp. 74–83.Google Scholar
- Cliff, N., Analyzing Multivariate Data, San Diego: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich 1987.Google Scholar
- Delener, N., International Counterfeit Marketing: Success without Risk, Review of World Business, 21, 1/2, 2000, pp. 16–20.Google Scholar
- Hair, J. F. J. et al., Multivariate Data Analysis, Upper Saddle River: Pearson-Prentice Hall 2006.Google Scholar
- Hopkins, D. M./Kontnik, L. T./Turnage, M. T., Counterfeiting Exposed: Protecting your Brand and Customers, Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons 2004.Google Scholar
- IACC, Submission of the International Anti-counterfeiting Coalition, Inc. to the United States Trade Representative. Special 301 recommendations, Washington: IACC 2006.Google Scholar
- Kalafatis, S. P./Tsogas, M. H./Blankson, C., Positioning Strategies in Business Markets, Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, 15, 6, 2000, pp. 416–437.Google Scholar
- Kapferer, J. N., Strategic Brand Management, 2nd ed., London: Kogan-Page 1997.Google Scholar
- Keller, K. L., Strategic Brand Management, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice Hall 1998.Google Scholar
- Kochan, N., The World’s Greatest Brands, London: Macmillan 1996.Google Scholar
- Kotler, P., Marketing Management, 7th ed., Englewood Clifee, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall 1997.Google Scholar
- Lan, P., Technology Transfer to China through Foreign Direct Investment, Sydney: Avebury 1996.Google Scholar
- Lanfranco, E., Lash Slams China IPR Enforcement, United Press International, 12 August, 2004.Google Scholar
- Leung, L., WTO Entry Provides Sole Beacon for Spending by Global Brands, South China Morning Post (Hong Kong), 15 February, 2002.Google Scholar
- Millar, C. C./Choi, C. J./Chen, S., Globalization Rediscovered: The Case of Uniqueness and ‘Creative Industries’, Management International Review, 45, 1, 2005, pp. 121–128.Google Scholar
- OECD, The Economic Impact of Counterfeiting and Piracy: Executive Summary, Paris: OECD 2007.Google Scholar
- O’Neil, M., China Begins Legal Race to Change, South China Morning Post, Business Section, 30 November 2001 p. 4.Google Scholar
- Pine, B. J. I./Peppers, D./Rogers, M., Do You Want to Keep your Customers forever?, Harvard Business Review, 73, 2, 1995, pp. 103–108.Google Scholar
- Porter, M., The Competitive Advantage of Nations, Harvard Business Review, 68, 2, 1990, pp. 73–93.Google Scholar
- Qu, T./Green, M. B., Chinese Foreign Direct Investment: A Subnational Perspective on Location, Aldershot: Ashgate 1997.Google Scholar
- Stonehouse, G. et al., Global and Transnational Business: Strategy and Management, New York: Wiley 2000.Google Scholar
- Yang, D., Intellectual Property and Doing Business in China, Oxford: Pergamon/Elsevier 2003.Google Scholar
- Yang, D./Fryxell, G. E./Sie, A., Anti-piracy Effectiveness and Managerial Confidence: Insights from Multinationals in China, Academy of International Business Conference Proceedings, Beijing 2006.Google Scholar