Two new species of Phanerochaete (Basidiomycota) and redescription of P. robusta
- 333 Downloads
In the current study, the new species Phanerochaete bambucicola and P. incarnata, from subtropical Taiwan are presented, while P. robusta is redescribed. We amplified the 5.8 s and LSU ribosomal genes along with RPB1. We generated an ITS dataset and a concatenated 5.8 s + nLSU + RPB1 dataset, which we analyzed using Maximum Parsimony and Bayesian methods. Our results suggest that the two new species belong in Phanerochaete s.s. P. bambucicola was collected on dead bamboo culm, characterized by the loose subiculum, the presence of leptocystidia, and the short lateral branches occasionally seen on the subicular hyphae. P. incarnata is characterized by the pink hymenial surface, and the presence of leptocystidia, which are usually covered with yellowish resinous material. The presence of enclosed, irregularly swollen, leptocystidia with oil drops is reported for P. robusta.
KeywordsCorticioid fungi Taiwan Taxonomy Polyporales Tropical wood decayers
This study was financed by Ministry of Science and Technology of ROC (Grant no 104-2621-B-178-001-MY3). The authors are grateful to Ms. S.Y. Ke for the help in DNA sequencing work.
- Boidin J, Lanquetin P (1984) Répertoire des donéesutiles pour effectuer les testsd’intercompatibilité chez basidiomycètes. III. Aphyllophorales non porées. Cryptogam Mycol 5:193–245Google Scholar
- Burdsall HH (1985) A contribution to the taxonomy of the genus Phanerochaete (Corticiaceae, Aphyllophorales). Mycol Mem 10:11–65Google Scholar
- Hall TA (1999) BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symp Ser 41:95–98Google Scholar
- Hall BG (2004) Phylogenetic trees made easy: a how-to manual, 2nd edn. Sinauer Associates, SunderlandGoogle Scholar
- Index Fungorum. http://indexfungorum.org. Accessed 15 June 2017
- Nylander JAA. 2004 MrModeltest v2. Program distributed by the author. Evolutionary Biology Centre, Uppsala UniversityGoogle Scholar
- Rayner RW (1970) A mycological colour chart. Commonwealth Mycological Institute, KewGoogle Scholar
- Swofford DL (2002) PAUP*. Phylogenetic analysis using parsimony (*and other methods) version 4. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0014-3820.2002.tb00191.x Google Scholar
- White TJ, Bruns T, Lee S, Taylor J (1990) Amplification and direct sequencing of fungal ribosomal RNA genes for phylogenetics. In: Innis MA, Gelfand DH, Sninsky JJ, White TJ (eds) PCR protocols, a guide to methods and applications. Academic, San Diego, pp 315–322Google Scholar
- Wu SH (1990) The Corticiaceae (basidiomycetes) subfamilies Phlebioideae, Phanerochaetoideae, and Hyphodermoideae in Taiwan. Acta Bot Fenn 142:1–123Google Scholar