Two new species of sequestrate Agaricus (section Minores) from Australia
The novel species Agaricus lamelliperditus and A. colpeteii are described and illustrated, and affinities to other taxa determined by analysis of ITS sequence data. Both taxa resemble several other recently described Australian sequestrate Agaricus species, in particular A. pachydermus, A. wariatodes and A. chartaceus, which all have a powdery hymenophore from very early stages of basidiome formation. Both novel species have affinities to section Minores.
KeywordsArid habitats Truffle-like Cryptic diversity
Thank you to the Australian Biological Resources Study for funding some of the fieldwork (Bushblitz 2011, Neds Corner), and the RBG Melbourne for supporting molecular work. Staff of PERTH and MEL are acknowledged for providing access to specimens and aid in locating collection data. Reviewers of the manuscript are acknowledged for their input.
- Barker WR (2005) Standardizing informal names in Australian publications. Aust Syst Bot Newslett 122:11Google Scholar
- Geml J, Laursen GA, Nusbaum HC, Taylor DL (2007) Two new species of Agaricus from the Subantarctic. Mycotaxon 100:193–208Google Scholar
- Geml J, Laursen GA, Taylor DL (2008) Molecular phylogenetic diversity assessment of arctic and boreal Agaricus taxa. Mycologia 100:577–589Google Scholar
- Gube M. 2009. Ontogeny and phylogeny of gasteroid members of Agaricaceae (Basidiomycetes). Doctoral dissertation, Friedrich-Schiller-Universitat, Jena, GermanyGoogle Scholar
- Hall T. 2011. Bioedit v7.1.3. http://www.mbio.ncsu.edu/bioedit/bioedit.html.
- Kerrigan RW, Callac P, Guinberteau J, Challen MP, Parra LA (2006) Agaricus section Xanthodermatei: a phylogenetic reconstruction with commentary on taxa. Mycologia 97:1318–1341Google Scholar
- Kirk PM, Cannon PF, Minter DW, Stalpers JA (2008) Dictionary of the fungi, 10th edn. CABI, WallingfordGoogle Scholar
- Rambaut A. 2009. FigTree 1.3.1 http://tree.bio.ed.ac.uk/software/figtree
- Singer R (1986) The Agaricales in modern taxonomy, 4th edn. Koeltz Scientific Books, Konigstein, p 912Google Scholar
- Thiers B (continuously updated) Index herbariorum: a global directory of public herbaria and associated staff. New York Botanical Garden’s Virtual Herbarium. http://sweetgum.nybg.org/ih/
- White TJ, Bruns T, Lee S, Taylor J (1990) Amplification and direct sequencing of fungal ribosomal RNA genes for phylogenetics. In: Innis MA, Gelfand DH, Shinsky JJ, White TJ (eds) PCR protocols: a guide to methods and applications. Academic, San Diego, pp 315–322Google Scholar