Robotic ultrasound-guided facet joint insertion
- 176 Downloads
Facet joint insertion is a common treatment of chronic pain in the back and spine. This procedure is often performed under fluoroscopic guidance, where the staff’s repetitive radiation exposure remains an unsolved problem. Robotic ultrasound (rUS) has the potential to reduce or even eliminate the use of radiation by using ultrasound with a robotic-guided needle insertion. This work presents first clinical data of rUS-based needle insertions extending previous work of our group.
Our system implements an automatic US acquisition protocol combined with a calibrated needle targeting system. This approach assists the physician by positioning the needle holder on a trajectory selected in a 3D US volume of the spine.
By the time of submission, nine facets were treated with our approach as first data from an ongoing clinical study. The insertion success rate was shown to be comparable to current clinical practice. Furthermore, US imaging offers additional anatomical context for needle trajectory planning.
This work shows first clinical data for robotic ultrasound-assisted facet joint insertion as a promising solution that can easily be incorporated into the clinical workflow. Presented results show the clinical value of such a system.
KeywordsRobotic ultrasound Neurosurgery Needle guidance Facet joint infiltration Surgical planning
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Declaration of Helsinki and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards. This article does not contain any studies with animals performed by any of the authors.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
Supplementary material 1 (mp4 160435 KB)
- 4.Ding J, Stoianovici D, Petrisor D, Mozer P, Avila R, Ibanez L, Turner W, Yankelvitz D, Wilson E, Banovac F, Cleary K (2008) Medical needle steering for lung biopsy: Experimental results in tissue phantoms using a robotic needle driver. In: 8th IEEE international conference on bioinformatics and bioengineering, pp 1–5Google Scholar
- 5.Gopinathan A, Peh WC (2011) Image-guided facet joint injection. Biomed Imaging Interv J 7(2):e4Google Scholar
- 6.Gorniak G, Conrad W (2015) Lower lumbar facet joint complex anatomy. Austin J Anat 2(1):1–8Google Scholar
- 9.Khallaghi S, Mousavi P, Gong RH, Gill S, Boisvert J, Fichtinger G, Pichora D, Borschneck D, Abolmaesumi P (2010) Registration of a statistical shape model of the lumbar spine to 3D ultrasound images. Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv MICCAI 2010:68–75Google Scholar
- 16.Yaniv Z (2015) Which pivot calibration? Image-Guided Proced Robot Interv Model 9415:941527Google Scholar
- 19.Zettinig O, Fuerst B, Kojcev R, Esposito M, Salehi M, Wein W, Rackerseder J, Sinibaldi E, Frisch B, Navab N (2016) Toward real-time 3d ultrasound registration-based visual servoing for interventional navigation. In: IEEE international conference on robotics and automation (ICRA), pp 945–950Google Scholar