Combination of texture and shape features to detect pulmonary abnormalities in digital chest X-rays
- 513 Downloads
To improve detection of pulmonary and pleural abnormalities caused by pneumonia or tuberculosis (TB) in digital chest X-rays (CXRs).
A method was developed and tested by combining shape and texture features to classify CXRs into two categories: TB and non-TB cases. Based on observation that radiologist interpretation is typically comparative: between left and right lung fields, the algorithm uses shape features to describe the overall geometrical characteristics of the lung fields and texture features to represent image characteristics inside them.
Our algorithm was evaluated on two different datasets containing tuberculosis and pneumonia cases.
Using our proposed algorithm, we were able to increase the overall performance, measured as area under the (ROC) curve (AUC) by 2.4 % over our previous work.
KeywordsTuberculosis Screen Software Remote Telemedicine
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Alexandros Karargyris, Jenifer Siegelman, Dimitris Tzortzis, Stefan Jaeger, Sema Candemir, Zhiyun Xue, KC Santosh, Szilárd Vajda, Sameer Antani, Les Folio and George R. Thoma declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention—Testing for TB Infection. http://www.cdc.gov/tb/topic/testing/default.htm. Viewed in Dec 2014
- 6.Karargyris A, Antani S, Thoma G (2011) Segmenting anatomy in chest X-rays for tuberculosis screening. In: Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBC, 2011 Annual International Conference of the IEEE, pp 7779–7782, Aug 30, 2011–Sept 3, 2011. doi: 10.1109/IEMBS.2011.6091917
- 9.Santosh KC, Candemir S, Jaeger S, Karargyris A, Antani S, Folio L, Thoma G (2015) Automatically detecting rotation in chest radiographs using principal rib-orientation measure for quality control. Int J Pattern Recognit Artif Intell. doi: 10.1142/S0218001415570013
- 10.Radon Transform. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RadonTransform.html. Viewed in Jan 2015
- 11.Bhattacharyya distance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhattacharyya_distance. Viewed in Jan 2015
- 12.Beard D (2009) Firefly—web-based interactive tool for the visualization and validation of image processing algorithms. M.S. thesis, Univ. Missouri, ColumbiaGoogle Scholar
- 14.The MathWorks, Inc., Matlab—measure properties of image regions. http://www.mathworks.com/help/images/ref/regionprops.html
- 15.http://www.jsrt.or.jp/jsrt-db/eng.php. Viewed in Dec 2014