Towards real-time, tracker-less 3D ultrasound guidance for spine anaesthesia
- 566 Downloads
Epidural needle insertions and facet joint injections play an important role in spine anaesthesia. The main challenge of safe needle insertion is the deep location of the target, resulting in a narrow and small insertion channel close to sensitive anatomy. Recent approaches utilizing ultrasound (US) as a low-cost and widely available guiding modality are promising but have yet to become routinely used in clinical practice due to the difficulty in interpreting US images, their limited view of the internal anatomy of the spine, and/or inclusion of cost-intensive tracking hardware which impacts the clinical workflow.
We propose a novel guidance system for spine anaesthesia. An efficient implementation allows us to continuously align and overlay a statistical model of the lumbar spine on the live 3D US stream without making use of additional tracking hardware. The system is evaluated in vivo on 12 volunteers.
The in vivo study showed that the anatomical features of the epidural space and the facet joints could be continuously located, at a volume rate of 0.5 Hz, within an accuracy of 3 and 7 mm, respectively.
A novel guidance system for spine anaesthesia has been presented which augments a live 3D US stream with detailed anatomical information of the spine. Results from an in vivo study indicate that the proposed system has potential for assisting the physician in quickly finding the target structure and planning a safe insertion trajectory in the spine.
KeywordsGuidance Epidural Facet joint injection 3D ultrasound
This work was supported in part by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) and in part by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR).
- 4.Chen ECS, Mousavi P, Gill S, Fichtinger G, Abolmaesumi P (2010) Ultrasound guided spine needle insertion. In: Proceedings of the SPIE, vol 7625, pp 762538-1–762538-8Google Scholar
- 6.Conroy PH, Luyet C, McCartney CJ, McHardy PG (2013) Real-time ultrasound-guided spinal anaesthesia: a prospective observational study of a new approach. Anesthesiol Res Pract 2013:525,818–525,824Google Scholar
- 8.Fedorov A, Beichel R, Kalpathy-Cramer J, Finet J, Fillion-Robin JC, Pujol S, Bauer C, Jennings D, Fennessy F, Sonka M, Buatti J, Aylward S, Miller J, Pieper S, Kikinis R (2012) 3D Slicer as an image computing platform for the quantitative imaging network. Magn Reson Imaging 30(9):1323–1341CrossRefPubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Foroughi P, Boctor E, Swartz M, Taylor R, Fichtinger G (2007) Ultrasound bone segmentation using dynamic programming. IEEE Ultrason Symp 13(4):2523–2526Google Scholar
- 11.Hacihaliloglu I, Guy P, Hodgson AJ, Abugharbieh R (2014) Volume-specific parameter optimization of 3D local phase features for improved extraction of bone surfaces in ultrasound. Int J Med Robot Comput Assist Surg. URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/rcs.1552. Published online
- 14.Khallaghi S, Mousavi P, Gong RH, Gill S, Boisvert J, Fichtinger G, Pichora D, Borschneck D, Abolmaesumi P (2010) Registration of a statistical shape model of the lumbar spine to 3D ultrasound images. In: MICCAI 2010, Part II, vol LNCS 6362, pp 68–75Google Scholar
- 18.Malenfant PA, Gunka V, Beigi P, Rasoulian A, Rohling R, Dube A (2014) Accuracy of 3d ultrasound for identification of epidural needle skin insertion point in parturients; a prospective observational study. In: Society for obstetric anesthesia and perinatology (SOAP) 46th annual meeting. Toronto, ON, Canada, p 308Google Scholar
- 19.Moore J, Clarke C, Bainbridge D, Wedlake C, Wiles A, Pace D, Peters T (2009) Image guidance for spinal facet injections using tracked ultrasound. In: MICCAI 2009, part I, vol LNCS 5761, pp 516–523Google Scholar
- 23.Osterman MJ, Martin JA (2011) Epidural and spinal anesthesia use during labor: 27-state reporting area, 2008. National vital statistics reports: from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics. Natl Vital Stat Syst 59(5):1–13Google Scholar
- 25.Pesteie M, Abolmaesumi P, Ashab HAD, Lessoway VA, Massey S, Gunka V, Rohling R (2014) Automatic recognition of the target plane in 3D ultrasound with EpiGuide. In: 7th NCIGT and NIH image guided therapy workshop. Boston, MA, USAGoogle Scholar
- 26.Rahmatullah B, Papageorghiou AT, Noble JA (2012) Integration of local and global features for anatomical object detection in ultrasound. In: MICCAI 2012, Part III, vol LNCS 7512, pp 402–409Google Scholar
- 27.Rasoulian A, Rohling R, Abolmaesumi P (2013) Augmentation of paramedian 3D ultrasound images of the spine. In: IPCAI 2013, vol LNCS 7915, pp 51–60Google Scholar