Online external beam radiation treatment simulator
- 90 Downloads
Radiation therapy is an effective and widely accepted form of treatment for many types of cancer that requires extensive computerized planning. Unfortunately, current treatment planning systems have limited or no visual aid that combines patient volumetric models extracted from patient-specific CT data with the treatment device geometry in a 3D interactive simulation. We illustrate the potential of 3D simulation in radiation therapy with a web-based interactive system that combines novel standards and technologies. We discuss related research efforts in this area and present in detail several components of the simulator. An objective assessment of the accuracy of the simulator and a usability study prove the potential of such a system for simulation and training.
KeywordsExternal beam radiation therapy Distributed training Three-dimensional simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Beavis A, Ward J, Bridge P, Appleyard R, Phillips R (eds) (2006) An immersive virtual environment for training of radiotherapy students and developing clinical experience. In: Proceedings of AAPM, Orlando, FL, USA, 30 Jul–3 Aug. Amer Assoc Physicists Medicine Amer Inst Physics, MelvilleGoogle Scholar
- 7.Web3D Consortium. What is X3D? Accessed December 1, 2007. Available at http://www.web3d.org
- 8.Hamza-Lup F, Sopin I, Zeidan O (2007) Towards 3D Web-based Simulation and Training Systems for Radiation Onco- logy. In: ADVANCE for Imaging and Oncology Administrators, pp 64–68Google Scholar
- 9.NEMA DICOM Homepage. Accessed 1 March 2007. Available at http://medical.nema.org
- 10.Schroeder WJ, Martin KM, Lorensen WE (1996) The design and implementation of an object-oriented toolkit for 3D graphics and visualization. In: Proceedings of VIS, 27 Oct–1 Nov. San Francisco, CA, USAGoogle Scholar