Radiotherapy and nipple–areolar complex necrosis after nipple-sparing mastectomy: a systematic review and meta-analysis
- 308 Downloads
To perform a meta-analysis to determine the effect of radiotherapy (RT) on nipple–areolar complex (NAC) and skin flap necrosis, and local recurrence in women who undergo nipple-sparing mastectomy (NSM) and immediate breast reconstruction.
Medline, PubMed, Cochrane, and Google Scholar databases were searched until October 16, 2015. Randomized-controlled-trials, prospective, retrospective, and cohort studies were included. The primary outcome was the NAC necrosis rate, and the secondary outcomes were the skin flap necrosis and local recurrence rates.
Of 186 studies identified, 2 prospective and 5 retrospective studies including a total of 3692 patients were included in the meta-analysis. Five, 3, and 2 studies reported data of NAC necrosis (3461 breasts), skin flap necrosis (2490 breasts), and local recurrence (988 breasts), respectively. Pooled results showed no difference in the odds of NAC necrosis [odds ratio (OR) = 1.250, 95% confidence interval (CI) 0.481–3.247, P = 0.647], or local recurrence (OR = 0.564, 95% CI 0.056–5.710, P = 0.627) between patients who received and did not receive RT. Patients treated with RT had a higher likelihood of skin flap necrosis (OR = 2.534, 95% CI 1.720–3.735, P < 0.001). Significant heterogeneity, however, was noted in the analysis of NAC and local recurrence.
Because of the limitations of the small number of studies and heterogeneity in the analysis, this study does not allow drawing any definitive conclusions and highlights the need of well-controlled trials to determine the effect of RT in patients undergoing NSM.
KeywordsBreast cancer Necrosis Nipple–areolar complex Nipple-sparing mastectomy Recurrence
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Meta‐analyses do not involve human subjects and do not require IRB review (J Grad Med Educ. 2011 March; 3(1): 5–6.).
- 2.Chattopadhyay D, Gupta S, Jash PK, Murmu MB, Gupta S (2014) Skin sparing mastectomy with preservation of nipple areola complex and immediate breast reconstruction in patients with breast cancer: a single centre prospective study. Plast Surg Int 2014:589068. doi: 10.1155/2014/589068 PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 4.Didier F, Radice D, Gandini S, Bedolis R, Rotmensz N, Maldifassi A, Santillo B, Luini A, Galimberti V, Scaffidi E, Lupo F, Martella S, Petit JY (2009) Does nipple preservation in mastectomy improve satisfaction with cosmetic results, psychological adjustment, body image and sexuality? Breast Cancer Res Treat 118:623–633CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Lohsiriwat V, Rotmensz N, Botteri E, Intra M, Veronesi P, Martella S, Garusi C, De Lorenzi F, Manconi A, Lomeo G, Rietjens M, Schorr M, Kneubil MC, Petit JY (2013) Do clinicopathological features of the cancer patient relate with nipple areolar complex necrosis in nipple-sparing mastectomy? Ann Surg Oncol 20:990–996CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Sbitany H, Wang F, Peled AW, Lentz R, Alvarado M, Ewing CA, Esserman LJ, Fowble B, Foster RD (2014) Immediate implant-based breast reconstruction following total skin-sparing mastectomy: defining the risk of preoperative and postoperative radiation therapy for surgical outcomes. Plast Reconstr Surg 134:396–404CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Alperovich M, Choi M, Frey JD, Lee ZH, Levine JP, Saadeh PB, Shapiro RL, Axelrod DM, Guth AA, Karp NS (2014) Nipple-sparing mastectomy in patients with prior breast irradiation: are patients at higher risk for reconstructive complications? Plast Reconstr Surg 134:202e–206eCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Liberati A, Altman DG, Tetzlaff J, Mulrow C, Gøtzsche PC, Ioannidis JP, Clarke M, Devereaux PJ, Kleijnen J, Moher D (2009) The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate health care interventions: explanation and elaboration. Ann Intern Med 151:W65–W94CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Wells GA, Shea B, O’Connell D, Peterson J, Welch V, Losos M, Tugwell P (2000) The Newcastle–Ottawa scale (NOS) for assessing the quality of nonrandomised studies in meta-analyses. http://www.ohri.ca/programs/clinical_epidemiology/oxford.htm. Accessed 4 Feb 2016
- 20.Petit JY, Veronesi U, Orecchia R, Curigliano G, Rey PC, Botteri E, Rotmensz N, Lohsiriwat V, Cassilha Kneubil M, Rietjens M (2012) Risk factors associated with recurrence after nipple-sparing mastectomy for invasive and intraepithelial neoplasia. Ann Oncol 23(8):2053–2058CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.Munhoz AM, Aldrighi CM, Montag E, Arruda EG, Aldrighi JM, Gemperli R, Filassi JR, Ferreira MC (2013) Clinical outcomes following nipple-areola-sparing mastectomy with immediate implant-based breast reconstruction: a 12-year experience with an analysis of patient and breast-related factors for complications. Breast Cancer Res Treat 140:545–555CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar