Virulence Complexity and High Levels of Fungicide Resistance Suggest Population Change of Phytophthora infestans in the Heilongjiang Province of China
- 233 Downloads
Samples of Phytophthora infestans were isolated from 12 city and county fields in the main potato production areas of Heilongjiang province of China between 2004 and 2008. A total of 72 isolates were tested for virulence on a potato R gene differential set and 39 of these isolates were also analysed for their resistance to the fungicide metalaxyl. All 11 differential plants were infected by one or more of the isolates collected; the most commonly overcome differentials were R1, R3, R4, R7, R10, and R11. Most (89.7%) of the tested isolates were resistant to metalaxyl and the rest (10.3%) were sensitive. The proportion of metalaxyl-resistant isolates differed between sites (χ 2 = 25.42, df = 10, p < 0.005), but not between years (χ 2 = 4.63, df = 4, p > 0.05). Taken together and in comparison with earlier pathogen population studies, our findings suggest that the population of P. infestans in Heilongjiang is different from that existing in the province two decades ago and that at various locations within the province, the new population has a high frequency of resistance to metalaxyl.
KeywordsHeilongjiang of China Metalaxyl resistance Phytophthora infestans Virulence phenotype
This study was supported financially by the fund (2010DFA32810) from the Ministry of Science and Technology of China, the fund (WB09B102-2) from Department of Science and Technology of Heilongjiang Province and the fund (2010AA6CN071) from Harbin Science and Technology Bureau. We also extend many thanks to Dr. Willmer Perez from the International Potato Center (CIP) for providing known metalaxyl-resistant and -sensitive isolates.
- Govers F, Latijnhouwers M (2004) Late blight. In: Goodman RM (ed) Encyclopedia of plant and crop science. Marcel Dekker, New York, pp 1–5Google Scholar
- Huang H, Chen HQ, Xu TY, Xu DY, Huo SX (1981) Occurrence and diversification of race of Phytophthora infestans in the north of China. Acta Phytopathologica Sinica 11:45–49 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Jin GH, Wen JZ, Dong CM, Zhang ZM (2003) Physiological races of Phytophthora infestans and their distribution in Heilongjiang province. Chin Potato J 4:213–215Google Scholar
- Jin GH, Yuan SK, Lv WH, Wen JZ, Sun XM (2006) Physiological race and mating type of Phytophthora infestans on potato in Heilongjiang Province. J NE Agri Univ 37:610–614Google Scholar
- Runno-Paurson E, Fry WE, Remmel T, Mandi M, Myers KL (2010) Phenotypic and genotypic characterisation of Estonian isolates of Phytophthora infestans in 2004–2007. J Plant Pathol 92:375–384Google Scholar
- Sun XM, Ma YL, Bai YM, Wen JZ, Jin GH, Lu WH (2009) Sensitivity of Phytophthora infestans to Metalaxyl in Heilongjiang. Chin Potato J 23:72–74Google Scholar
- Xu SJ, Yao LL, Li XX, Zhang XZ (2009) The change in sensitivity of Phytophthora infestans isolates colleted from Heilongjiang and Jilin to fluazinam and metalaxyl. Plant Prot 35:80–85Google Scholar
- Yuan SK, Zhao ZH, Liu XL, Liu L, Jiang H (2005) Detection on the sensitivity of potato Phytophthora infestans to metalaxyl and cymoxanil. Chin J Pest Sci 7:237–241Google Scholar
- Zhang ZM, Wang RG (2001) Progress and suggestions on potato late blight research in China. J Agri Univ Hebei 24:4–10Google Scholar