Stock mechanics: Predicting recession in S&P500, DJIA and NASDAQ
- 60 Downloads
Proposed in this paper is an original method assuming potential and kinetic energies for prices and for the conservation of their sum that has been developed for forecasting exchanges. Connections with a power law are shown. Semiempirical applications on the S&P500, DJIA, and NASDAQ predict a forthcoming recession in them. An emerging market, the Istanbul Stock Exchange index ISE-100 is found harboring a potential to continue to rise.
KeywordsPotential and kinetic energy equations of motion power law oscillations crashes portfolio growths
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ç. Tuncay: “Stock mechanics: a classical approach”, Preprint: arXiv:physics/0503163.Google Scholar
- V. Pareto: Cours d”economie politique reprinted as a volume of Oeuvres Compl‘etes, Droz, Geneva, 1965.Google Scholar
- G. Zipf: Human Behavior and the Principle of Last Effort, Addison-Wesley, Cambridge, MA, 1949.Google Scholar
- A. Johansen, O. Ledoit and D. Sornette: “Crashes as critical points”, Int. J. Theor. Appl. Finance, Vol. 3, (2000), pp. 219–255.Google Scholar
- A. Johansen, O. Ledoit and D. Sornette: “Crashes as critical points”, Int. J. The. Appl. Finance, Vol. 3, (2000), pp. 219–255.Google Scholar
- For many other articles of D. Sornette see also several issues of the journal Eur. Phys. J. B and search Preprint: http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/cond-mat/.
- For detailed information about NYSE shares and indices, URL: http://biz.yahoo.com/i/.
- For detailed information about ISE, URL: http://www.imkb.gov.tr/sirket/sirketler_y_2003.thm.