Leading for Learning – Something New under the Sun
- 14 Downloads
This entry of Leading Matters features a keynote address given by Dr. Marcy Driscoll at the 2017 AECT International Conference in Jacksonville Florida.
“Look up, be bold, and lead…,”prompts Dr. Marcy Driscoll, Dean Emerita and Professor at Florida State University. Dr. Driscoll extolls the role of being a leader, providing a journey from faculty to mid-level administration to senior-level administration.
As Dr. Driscoll examines her journey and prepares for this keynote address, she reflects on her path and the environment surrounding this twenty-first Century and realizes it is time to shift to a new role; she states “…it is time for someone younger, more politically astute, and more adept at social media to take up the mantle, and I look forward to supporting from the rear.” This realization and acknowledgement of change does not equate to quitting; rather it is a recognition of the challenges facing a dean in the current environment and putting the needs of the department and...
- American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education (AACTE). (2012). Where we stand: Alternative vs. traditional teacher preparation. Washington, D.C.: AACTE.Google Scholar
- Blain, K.N. and Kendi, I.X. (2017). How to avoid a post-scholar America. The Chronicle of Higher Education. http://www.chronicle.com/article/How-to-Avoid-a-Post-Scholar. Retrieved June 19, 2017.
- Bryk, A.S., Gomez, L.M., Grunow, A., and Lemahieu, P. (2017). How America’s schools can get better at getting better. Harvard Educational Review, 85(4). http://hepg.org/her-home/issues/harvard-educational-review-volume-85-number-4/herbooknote/learning-to-improve. Retrieved July 31, 2017.
- Carlson, S. (2017). A new liberal art. The Chronicle of Higher Education. http://www.chronicle.com/article/A-New-Liberal-Art/. Retrieved September 26, 2017.
- Center for Research on Education Outcomes (CREDO). (2013). National charter school study. Stanford: CREDO.Google Scholar
- Cerniak, K., Stewart, M., & Ruddy, A.-M. (2015). Mapping the growth of statewide voucher programs in the United States. Bloomington: Center for Evaluation & Education Policy.Google Scholar
- Couratin, P. (1973). Something new under the sun. New York City: Harlin Quist, Inc. Text adapted by Jeanine Larmoth from a translation by Ciba Vaughan.Google Scholar
- Davidson, C. N. (2017). A new education for our era. The Chronicle of Higher Education. http://www.chronicle.com/article/Commentary-A-Newer-Education/. Retrieved October 27, 2017.
- Gardner, L. (2017). Can design thinking redesign higher education? The Chronicle of Higher Education. http://www.chronicle.com/article/Can-Design-Thinking-Redesign/. Retrieved November 2, 2017.
- Gasman, M. (Ed.). (2016). Academics going public: How to write and speak beyond academe. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Gerstl-Pepin, C., & Reyes, C. (Eds.). (2015). Reimagining the public intellectual in education. New York: Peter Lang.Google Scholar
- Gmelch, W., Hopkins, D., & Damico, S. (2011). Seasons of a dean’s life: Understanding the role and building leadership capacity. Sterling: Stylus Publishing, LLC.Google Scholar
- Hess, F.M. (2017). Why ed. Scholarship could soon be sidelined: Why conservative leaders tend to discount education researchers. Education Week. http://www.edweek.org/ew/aarticles/2017/01/11/ideological-diversity-is-the-price-of-ed-scholars.html. Retrieved January 27, 2017.
- Looser, D. (2017). The making of a public intellectual. The Chronicle of Higher Education. http://www.chronicle.com/article/The-Making-of-a-Public. Retrieved October 2, 2017.
- Orfield, G., & Ee, J. (2017). Patterns of resegregation in Florida’s schools. Tallahassee: LeRoy Collins Institute.Google Scholar
- Pew Research Center. (2013). Many Americans say educational system in need of overhaul. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/08/13/many-americans-say-educational-system-in-need-of-overhaul/. Retrieved July 11, 2018.
- Pew Research Center. (2017). Sharp partisan divisions in views of national institutions. http://www.people-press.org/2017/07/10/sharp-partisan-divisions-in-views-of-national-institutions/#positive-views-of-colleges-decline-across-most-gop-groups. Retrieved July 11, 2018.
- Valant, J. (2016). Probing charter schools’ differential success in urban and nonurban settings. Brown Center Chalboard Series, Brookings. https://www.brookings.edu/blog/brown-center-chalkboard/2016/03/04/probing-charter-schools-differential-success-in-urban-and-nonurban-settings/. Retrieved July 13, 2018.