Designing for Networked Collaborative Discourse: An UnLMS Approach
KeywordsCollaborative discourse Networked learning Design case Learning environments LMS
This paper was partially supported by an NSF Award (# 1657009). I thank Ramya Sivaraj for her assistance in setting up the survey and Dr. Stian Håklev for commenting on an earlier draft of this paper.
This study was funded by NSF (grant # 1657009).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- Anderson, T., & Dron, J. (2011). Three generations of distance education pedagogy. The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 12(3), 80–97 Retrieved from http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/890/1826.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bereiter, C. (2002). Education and mind in the knowledge age. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.Google Scholar
- Brown, M., Dehoney, J., & Millichap, N. (2015). The next generation digital learning environment. EDUCAUSE. Retrieved from https://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/eli3035.pdf.
- Feldstein, M. (2017). A flexible, interoperable digital learning platform: Are we there yet?. e-Literate. Accessible from http://mfeldstein.com/flexible-interoperable-digital-learning-platform-yet/.
- Haslhofer, B., Simon, R., Sanderson, R., & Sompel, H. V. de. (2011). The Open Annotation Collaboration (OAC) Model. In 2011 Workshop on Multimedia on the Web (pp. 5–9). IEEE. https://doi.org/10.1109/MMWeb.2011.21.
- Hill, P. (2015). LMS is the minivan of education (and other thoughts from #LILI15). e-Literate. Accessible from http://mfeldstein.com/lms-is-the-minivan-of-education-and-other-thoughts-from-lili15/.
- Ito, M., Gutiérrez, K., Livingstone, S., Penuel, B., Rhodes, J., Salen, K., et al. (2013). Connected learning: An agenda for research and design. Irvine, CA, USA: Digital Media and Learning Research Hub.Google Scholar
- Lang, L., & Pirani, J. A. (2014). The learning management system evolution. EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research. Retrieved from https://library.educause.edu/~/media/files/library/2014/5/erb1405-pdf.pdf.
- Morris, S. M. (2013). Decoding digital pedagogy, part 1: Beyond the LMS. Hybrid Pedagogy. Accessible from http://www.digitalpedagogylab.com/hybridped/decoding-digital-pedagogy-pt-1-beyond-the-lms/ Google Scholar
- Mott, J., & Wiley, D. (2009). Open for learning: The CMS and the open learning network. In Education, 15(2). Retrived from https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/facpub/113/.
- Roschelle, J., & Teasley, S. D. (1995). The construction of shared knowledge in collaborative problem solving. In Computer supported collaborative learning (pp. 69–97). Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-85098-1_5.
- Rosé, C. P., Ferschke, O., Tomar, G., Yang, D., Howley, I., Aleven, V., et al. (2015). Challenges and opportunities of dual-layer MOOCs: Reflections from an edX deployment study. In Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Computer Supported Collaborative Learning (CSCL 2015). Vol. 2 (pp. 848–851). Gothenburg: International Society of the Learning Sciences.Google Scholar
- Scardamalia, M., & Bereiter, C. (2003). Knowledge building environments: Extending the limits of the possible in education and knowledge work. In A. DiStefano, K. E. Rudestam, & R. Silverman (Eds.), Encyclopedia of distributed learning (pp. 269–272). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Siemens, G. (2005). Connectivism: A learning theory for the digital age. International Journal of Instructional Technology and Distance Learning, 1–8 Retrieved from http://er.dut.ac.za/handle/123456789/69.
- Siemens, G. (2011). Orientation: Sensemaking and wayfinding in complex distributed online information environments (PhD thesis). In University of Aberdeen.Google Scholar
- Smith, K. M., & Boling, E. (2009). What do we make of design? Design as a concept in educational technology. Educational Technology, 49(4), 3–17.Google Scholar
- Zhang, J., Tao, D., Chen, M.-H., Sun, Y., Judson, D., & Naqvi, S. (2018). Co-organizing the collective journey of inquiry with idea thread mapper. Journal of the Learning Sciences. https://doi.org/10.1080/10508406.2018.1444992.