Online Course Design in Higher Education: A Review of National and Statewide Evaluation Instruments
- 1.9k Downloads
This research identifies six online course evaluation instruments used nationally or in statewide systems. We examined the characteristics (i.e., number of standards and criteria) and coded the criteria that guide the design of online courses. We discussed the focus of the instruments and their unique features.
Keywordscourse design evaluation instruments evaluation tools online education quality Quality Matters
- Allen, I. E., & Seaman, J. (2016). Online report card: Tracking online education in the United States. Wellesley: Babson Research Group.Google Scholar
- Blackboard. (2016). Exemplary course program. Retrieved from http://www.blackboard.com/consulting-training/training-technical-services/exemplary-course-program.aspx.
- Blackboard. (2012). Blackboard exemplary course program rubric. Retrieved from http://www.blackboard.com/resources/getdocs/7deaf501-4674-41b9-b2f2-554441ba099b_bbexemplarycourserubric_nov12final.pdf.
- California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office. (2016a). About the OEI. Retrieved from http://ccconlineed.org/about-the-oei/.
- California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office. (2016b). Online course design standards. Retrieved from http://ccconlineed.org/faculty-resources/professional-development/online-course-design-standards/.
- California Community College Online Education Initiative. (2016). Course design rubric for the online education initiative. Retrieved from http://ccconlineed.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/OEI_CourseDesignRubric_Nov2016-3.pdf.
- California State University. (2015a). QOLT awards program CFP. Retrieved from http://courseredesign.csuprojects.org/wp/qualityassurance/qolt-awards-cfp/.
- California State University. (2015b). QOLT evaluation instruments. Retrieved from http://courseredesign.csuprojects.org/wp/qualityassurance/qolt-instruments/.
- California State University. (2015c). QOLT program background. Retrieved from http://courseredesign.csuprojects.org/wp/qualityassurance/qolt/.
- California State University. (2015d). Welcome. Retrieved from http://courseredesign.csuprojects.org/wp/qualityassurance/.
- Chao, T. I., Saj, T., & Hamilton, D. (2010). Using collaborative course development to achieve online course quality standards. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 11(3), 106–126 Retrieved from http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/912/1644.Google Scholar
- Chao, T., Saj, T., & Tessier, F. (2006). Establishing a quality review for online courses. Educause Quarterly, 29(3), 32–40.Google Scholar
- Feldman, S., McElroy, E. J., & LaCour, N. (2000). Distance education, guidelines for good practice. Washington: American Federation of Teachers Retrieved from http://www.umsl.edu/technology/frc/pdfs/guidlines_for_good_practice_DL.pdf.Google Scholar
- Haynie, D. (2015). Study shows sluggish online learning growth for second year. U.S. News and World Report. Retrieved from http://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/articles/2015/02/05/study-shows-sluggish-online-learning-growth-for-second-year.
- Herron, R. I., Holsombach-Ebner, C., Shomate, A. K., & Szathmary, K. J. (2012). Large scale quality engineering in distance learning programs. Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks, 16(5), 19–35 Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.ezp-prod1.hul.harvard.edu/docview/1361854475?accountid=11311.Google Scholar
- Illinois Online Network. (2015a). Quality online course initiative rubric & checklist. University of Illinois. Retrieved from http://www.ion.uillinois.edu/initiatives/qoci/rubric.asp.
- Illinois Online Network. (2015b). Quality online course initiative. Retrieved from http://www.ion.uillinois.edu/initiatives/qoci/index.asp.
- Kleen, B., & Soule, L. (2010). Reflections on online course design-Quality Matters™ evaluation and student feedback: An exploratory study. Issues in Information Systems, 11(2), 152–161.Google Scholar
- Lorenzo, G. (2014). OEI approves course design rubric. TechEDge. Retrieved from http://ccctechedge.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=460&Itemid=24.
- Lowenthal, P., & Hodges, C. (2015). In search of quality: Using Quality Matters to analyze the quality of massive, open, online courses (MOOCs). The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 16(5). Retrieved from http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/2348/3411.
- Maryland Online, Inc. (2014). Quality MattersTM overview. Retrieved from https://www.qualitymatters.org/applying-rubric-15/download/QM_Overview_for%20Current%20Subscribers_AE2013.pdf.
- MarylandOnline. (2016). Higher education program. Retrieved from https://www.qualitymatters.org/higher-education-program.
- MarylandOnline, Inc. (2016). Welcome to the Quality Matters research library! Retrieved from https://www.qmprogram.org/qmresources/research/.
- McGahan, S. J., Jackson, C. M., & Premer, K. (2015). Online course quality assurance: Development of a quality checklist. InSight: A Journal of Scholarly Teaching, 10, 126–140.Google Scholar
- Means, B., Toyama, Y., Murphy, R., Bakia, M., & Jones, K. (2010). Evaluation of evidence-based practices in online learning: A meta-analysis and review of online learning studies. U.S. Dept. of Education, Office of Planning, Evaluation and Policy Development, Policy and Program Studies Service website. Retrieved from gov/rschstat/eval/tech/evidence-based-practices/finalreport.Pdf.Google Scholar
- Online Learning Consortium. (2015). The open SUNY COTE quality review (OSCQR) process and rubric. Retrieved from https://secure.onlinelearningconsortium.org/conference/2015/aln/open-suny-cote-quality-review-oscqr-process-and-rubric.
- Open SUNY Center for Online Teaching Excellence. (2016). Course supports. Retrieved from http://commons.suny.edu/cote/course-supports/.
- Parscale, S. L., Dumont, J. F., & Plessner, V. R. (2015). The effect of quality management theory on assessing student learning outcomes. S.A.M. Advanced Management Journal, 80(4), 19–30 Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.ezp-prod1.hul.harvard.edu/docview/1757273567?accountid=11311.Google Scholar
- Quality Matters. (2016). Course design rubric standards. Retrieved from https://www.qualitymatters.org/qa-resources/rubric-standards/higher-ed-rubric.
- San Francisco State University. (2016). Welcome to QOLT. Retrieved from http://qolt.sfsu.edu.
- Shattuck, K., Zimmerman, W. A., & Adair, D. (2014). Continuous improvement of the QM Rubric and review processes: Scholarship of integration and application. Internet Learning, 3(1), 25–34 Retrieved from http://www.ipsonet.org/images/Westphalia_Press/Internet_Learning_Journal_2-2/3- 1/3.%20Shattuck%20ILJ%203-1.pdf.Google Scholar
- State University of New York. (2016). OSCQR. Retrieved from https://bbsupport.sln.suny.edu/bbcswebdav/institution/OSCQR/OSCQR-Links-BKP-2016-08-09.html.