Virtual Reality: Low-Cost Tools and Resources for the Classroom
- 1.9k Downloads
For those of us engaged in teaching and technology, virtual reality (VR) is a hot topic at the moment. This is not really new, as a community we have been exploring the educational possibilities of virtual experiences and simulations for decades at least. Right now, though, VR’s popularity is particularly high based on a number of technological advances.
An Ericsson Consumer Insight Summary Report (Ericsson Consumerlab 2015), names virtual reality (VR) as it applies to visual presentation of information as one of the “10 Hot Consumer Trends” of 2016. The consumer and educational technology media have been publishing a multitude of articles on VR’s newest hardware and software, and its applications in education and training for at least a year (Brown and Green 2016). VR experiences have the potential to change the way individuals think and behave (Nicas 2015). Traditionally, VR has been successfully used for training (e.g. flight simulators), development of cultural awareness, and...
KeywordsVirtual Reality Android Street View Immersive Virtual Reality Tablet Device
- Blascovich, J., & Bailenson, J. (2011). Infinite reality: The hidden blueprint of our virtual lives. New York: William Morrow.Google Scholar
- Brown, A. & Green, T. (2016). (Producers). Trends and issues in instructional design, educational technology, and learning sciences, episode 54 [Audio Podcast]. Retrieved from http://trendsandissues.com/.
- Catanzarti, P. (2015a). Getting started with virtual reality: an introduction to unity. Makezine. Retrieved from: http://makezine.com/projects/getting-started-with-virtual-reality-an-introduction-to-unity/.
- Catanzarti, P. (2015b). Getting started with virtual reality: building for Google cardboard. Makezine. Retrieved from: http://makezine.com/projects/getting-started-with-virtual-reality-building-for-google-cardboard/.
- Ericsson Consumerlab. (2015). 10 hot consumer trends 2016. Stockholm: Ericsson. Retrieved from: http://www.ericsson.com/res/docs/2015/consumerlab/ericsson-consumerlab-10-hot-consumer-trends-2016-report.pdf.Google Scholar
- Gaudiosi, J. (2015). This company dominates the virtual reality business, and it’s not named Oculus. Fortune. Retrieved from http://fortune.com/2015/03/19/unity-virtual-reality/.
- Google Cardboard. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.google.com/get/cardboard/.
- Google Street View. (nd). Retrieved from https://www.google.com/maps/streetview/.
- Howard, N.R. (2016). Come along and ride on a google expedition. edutopia. Retrieved from: http://www.edutopia.org/blog/ride-on-a-google-expedition-nicol-howard.
- VR Immersive Education (2106). Technology. Retrieved from http://immersivevreducation.com/technology/.
- Nicas, J. (2015). What happens when virtual reality gets too real. Wall Street Journal Digits. Retrieved from: http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2016/01/03/what-happens-when-virtual-reality-gets-too-real/.
- Stelter, B. (2015). How to see CNN’s Democratic debate in virtual reality. CNN Money. Retrieved from: http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/13/media/cnn-virtual-reality-democratic-debate-stream/.