Personal Learning Environments: A Solution for Self-Directed Learners
- First Online:
- 656 Downloads
In this paper I discuss personal learning environments and their diverse benefits, uses, and implications for life-long learning. Personal Learning Environments (PLEs) are Web 2.0 and social media technologies that enable individual learners the ability to manage their own learning. Self-directed learning is explored as a foundation for the use of PLEs. I outline the optimal criteria for social media tools to be used as PLEs: they must be easy to use, open, dynamic, and offer collaboration options. I discuss individual PLE tools with examples and possible uses. I list implications for educators and individual learners. I conclude the discussion with ideas for future study of PLEs in formal and informal learning.
KeywordsAutodidactic Heutagogy Personal learning environments PLE Self-directed learning SDL SymbalooEDU Social media Web 2.0
- Hase, S., & Kenyon, C., (2001). From andragogy to heutagogy. Retrieved March 27, 2015, from: http://www.psy.gla.ac.uk/~steve/pr/Heutagogy.html.
- Hiemstra, R. (2011). Self-directed learning: individualizing instruction – Most still do it wrong! International Journal of Self-Directed Learning, 8(1), 46–59 (2011) [On-line]. Available: http://www.sdlglobal.com/IJSDL/IJSDL8.1final.pdf.
- Hiemstra, R. (2013). Self-directed learning: why do most instructors still do it wrong? International Journal of Self-Directed Learning, 10(1), 23–34 (2013) [On-line]. http://www.sdlglobal.com/IJSDL/IJSDL10.1.pdf.
- Knowles, M. (1970). The modern practice of adult education: Andragogy versus pedagogy. New York: Associated Press.Google Scholar
- Knowles, M. S. (1975). Self-directed learners: A guide for learners and teachers.Google Scholar
- Marín-Juarros, V. I., Negre-Bennasar, F., & Pérez-Garcias, A. (2014). Construction of the foundations of the PLE and PLN for collaborative learning. Comunicar, 21(42), 35–43. doi:10.3916/C42-2014-03.
- Symbaloo (2015). Symbaloo.com - Your Bookmarks and favorites in the cloud. Retrieved March 27, 2015, from http://www.symbaloo.com.
- Tomberg, V., Laanpere, M., Ley, T., & Normak, P. (2013). Sustaining teacher control in a blog-based personal learning environment. International Review of Research in Open & Distance Learning, 14(3), 109–133.Google Scholar