Giving Credit Where Credit Is Due: Designing Open Badges for a Technology Integration Course
- 613 Downloads
This paper describes the design, development, and implementation of Open Badges into a secondary education preservice course on instructional technology. Open Badges provide a new way of issuing credentials to individuals who demonstrate knowledge, skill, or ability in a particular domain. Badges provide a simple system for communicating a skill along with specific information about the evidence connected with earning the badge. In this paper, we describe the course in detail along with the several iterations of design that resulted in the development of the badge system, along with the challenges faced and lessons learned for future design and use of Open Badges.
KeywordsAssessment Badges Credentials Higher education Technology integration Educational technology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brandon, B. (2013). Open badges: Portable credentials for learning. Learning Solutions Magazine. Retrieved from http://www.learningsolutionsmag.com/articles/1094/open-badges-portable-credentials-for-learning
- Christensen, C. M., Horn, M. B., & Johnson, C. W. (2011). Disrupting Class, Expanded Edition: How to Disruptive Innovation Will Change the Way the World Learns. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Goligoski, E. (2012). Motivating the learner: Mozilla’s open badges program. Access to Knowledge: A Course Journal, 4(1). Retrieved from http://ojs.stanford.edu/ojs/index.php/a2k/article/view/381/207
- Koehler, M., & Mishra, P. (2009). What is Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK)? Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 9(1), 60–70.Google Scholar
- Mozilla. (n.d.). OpenBadges.org About Page. Retrieved January 18, 2013, from http://openbadges.org/en-US/about.html
- The Mozilla Foundation, Peer 2 Peer University, & The MacArthur Foundation. (2012). Open Badges for lifelong learning. Retrieved from https://wiki.mozilla.org/images/5/59/OpenBadges-Working-Paper_012312.pdf