High expression of epithelial cellular adhesion molecule in peritoneal metastasis of gastric cancer
- 377 Downloads
Intraperitoneally administrated epithelial cellular adhesion molecule (EpCAM) monoclonal antibody is a therapeutic agent in patients with malignant effusion in several types of carcinoma. However, the role of EpCAM in peritoneal metastasis (PM) lesions and primary lesions of gastric cancer (GC) is still unclear. Therefore, in this study, we investigated EpCAM expression in GC patients with PM. We investigated the expression of EpCAM in 35PM lesions and 104 biopsy samples as primary lesions. Immunohistochemical staining was performed using the Ventana Benchmark XT (Roche Diagnostics) system. EpCAM expression was evaluated by calculating the total immunostaining score, which is the product of the proportion score and the intensity score. Overexpression was defined as a total score greater than 4. All PM specimens showed overexpression of EpCAM, and GC cells in both the surface layer and the deep layer of the PM showed a high expression of EpCAM. Meanwhile, in the biopsy sample, the expression of EpCAM ranged from none to strong. The EpCAM score results for PM specimens and biopsy samples were 11.0 ± 2.0 and 6.9 ± 3.9, respectively. The difference between the scores was statistically significant (P < 0.05). The intraperitoneally administrated EpCAM antibody might have a anti-cancer effect in PM lesions of GC. Additionally, it can be assumed that only GC cells which express a high level of EpCAM might metastasize to the peritoneum.
KeywordsGastric cancer Peritoneal metastasis Epithelial cellular adhesion molecule (EpCAM) Target therapy
The authors express their appreciation to Dr. Harumasa Ohyanagi, vice board director of the University of KinDAI Himeji for his expert comments on the manuscript. We also wish to thank Mr. Tadao Uesugi and Miss Fusako Kamada for technical assistance.
Conflict of interest
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.
- 2.Koizumi W, Narahara H, Hara T, Takagane A, Akiya T, Takagi M, Miyashita K, Nishizaki T, Kobayashi O, Takiyama W, Toh Y, Nagaie T, Takagi S, Yamamura Y, Yanaoka K, Orita H, Takeuchi M (2008) S-1 plus cisplatin versus S-1 alone for first-line treatment of advanced gastric cancer (SPIRITS trial): a phase III trial. Lancet Oncol 9(3):215–221. doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(08)70035-4 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Sadeghi B, Arvieux C, Glehen O, Beaujard AC, Rivoire M, Baulieux J, Fontaumard E, Brachet A, Caillot JL, Faure JL, Porcheron J, Peix JL, Francois Y, Vignal J, Gilly FN (2000) Peritoneal carcinomatosis from non-gynecologic malignancies: results of the EVOCAPE 1 multicentric prospective study. Cancer 88(2):358–363. doi: 10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(20000115)88:2<358::AID-CNCR16>3.0.CO;2-O PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Hartung G, Hofheinz RD, Dencausse Y, Sturm J, Kopp-Schneider A, Dietrich G, Fackler-Schwalbe I, Bornbusch D, Gonnermann M, Wojatschek C, Lindemann W, Eschenburg H, Jost K, Edler L, Hochhaus A, Queisser W (2005) Adjuvant therapy with edrecolomab versus observation in stage II colon cancer: a multicenter randomized phase III study. Onkologie 28(6–7):347–350. doi: 10.1159/000084595 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Went P, Vasei M, Bubendorf L, Terracciano L, Tornillo L, Riede U, Kononen J, Simon R, Sauter G, Baeuerle PA (2006) Frequent high-level expression of the immunotherapeutic target Ep-CAM in colon, stomach, prostate and lung cancers. Br J Cancer 94(1):128–135. doi: 10.1038/sj.bjc.6602924 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Varga M, Obrist P, Schneeberger S, Muhlmann G, Felgel-Farnholz C, Fong D, Zitt M, Brunhuber T, Schafer G, Gastl G, Spizzo G (2004) Overexpression of epithelial cell adhesion molecule antigen in gallbladder carcinoma is an independent marker for poor survival. Clin Cancer Res 10(9):3131–3136PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Heiss MM, Murawa P, Koralewski P, Kutarska E, Kolesnik OO, Ivanchenko VV, Dudnichenko AS, Aleknaviciene B, Razbadauskas A, Gore M, Ganea-Motan E, Ciuleanu T, Wimberger P, Schmittel A, Schmalfeldt B, Burges A, Bokemeyer C, Lindhofer H, Lahr A, Parsons SL (2010) The trifunctional antibody catumaxomab for the treatment of malignant ascites due to epithelial cancer: results of a prospective randomized phase II/III trial. Int J Cancer 127(9):2209–2221. doi: 10.1002/ijc.25423 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Imano M, Peng YF, Itoh T, Nishikawa M, Satou T, Yasuda A, Inoue K, Kato H, Shinkai M, Tsubaki M, Yasuda T, Imamoto H, Nishida S, Furukawa H, Takeyama Y, Okuno K, Shiozaki H (2012) A preliminary study of single intraperitoneal administration of paclitaxel followed by sequential systemic chemotherapy with S-1 plus paclitaxel for advanced gastric cancer with peritoneal metastasis. Anticancer Res 32(9):4071–4075PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Imano M, Imamoto H, Itoh T, Satou T, Peng YF, Yasuda A, Kato H, Shiraishi O, Shinkai M, Yasuda T, Takeyama Y, Okuno K, Shiozaki H (2012) Safety of intraperitoneal administration of paclitaxel after gastrectomy with en-bloc D2 lymph node dissection. J Surg Oncol 105(1):43–47PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar