Decision making — the Analytic Hierarchy and Network Processes (AHP/ANP)
- 4.1k Downloads
This is the first part of an introduction to multicriteria decision making using the Analytic Hierarchy Process (AHP) and its generalization, the Analytic Network Process (ANP). The discussion involves individual and group decisions both with the independence of the criteria from the alternatives as in the AHP and also with dependence and feedback in the entire decision structure as in the ANP. This part explains the Analytic Hierarchy Process, with examples, and presents in some detail the mathematical foundations. An exposition of the Analytic Network Process and its applications will appear in later issues of this journal.
KeywordsDecision making Analytic Hierarchy Process (AHP) Analytic Network Process (ANP)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bauer, R.A., E. Collar, and V. Tang, The Silverlake Project, Oxford University Press, New York, 1992.Google Scholar
- Saaty, T.L., “Rank generation, preservation, and reversal in the Analytic Hierarchy Decision Process,” Journal of the Decision Sciences Institute, Vol. 18, No. 2, 1987.Google Scholar
- Saaty, T.L., Fundamentals of Decision Making with the Analytic Hierarchy Process, RWS Publications, 4922 Ellsworth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, 2000b.Google Scholar
- Saaty, T.L., Decision Making with Dependence and Feedback: The Analytic Network Process, RWS Publications, 4922 Ellsworth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, 2001.Google Scholar
- Saaty, T.L., “Time dependent decision-making; dynamic priorities in the AHP/ANP; generalizing from points to functions and from real to complex variables”, Proceedings of the ISAHP 2003, Bali, Indonesia, August 7–9, 2003.Google Scholar
- Saaty, T.L. and L.G. Vargas, “Inconsistency and rank preservation,” Journal of Mathematical Psychology, Vol. 28, No. 2, June 1984a.Google Scholar
- Saaty, T.L. and L.G. Vargas, “The possibility of group choice: pairwise comparisons and merging functions,” Submitted to Math of OR, 2003.Google Scholar
- Saaty, T.L. and K.P. Kearns, Analytical Planning; The Organization of Systems, Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1985. Translated to Russian. Paperback edition, RWS Publications, 4922 Ellsworth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA, 15213, Pittsburgh, 1991.Google Scholar