Can one detect atrial fibrillation using a wrist-type photoplethysmographic device?
This study aims at evaluating the potential of a wrist-type photoplethysmographic (PPG) device to discriminate between atrial fibrillation (AF) and other types of rhythm. Data from 17 patients undergoing catheter ablation of various arrhythmias were processed. ECGs were used as ground truth and annotated for the following types of rhythm: sinus rhythm (SR), AF, and ventricular arrhythmias (VA). A total of 381/1370/415 10-s epochs were obtained for the three categories, respectively. After pre-processing and removal of segments corresponding to motion artifacts, two different types of feature were derived from the PPG signals: the interbeat interval-based features and the wave-based features, consisting of complexity/organization measures that were computed either from the PPG waveform itself or from its power spectral density. Decision trees were used to assess the discriminative capacity of the proposed features. Three classification schemes were investigated: AF against SR, AF against VA, and AF against (SR&VA). The best results were achieved by combining all features. Accuracies of 98.1/95.9/95.0 %, specificities of 92.4/88.7/92.8 %, and sensitivities of 99.7/98.1/96.2 % were obtained for the three aforementioned classification schemes, respectively.
KeywordsPhotoplethysmography Arrhythmias Atrial fibrillation
This work was funded thanks to the Swiss NanoTera initiative, NTF project MiniHolter.
- 3.Berndt DJ, Clifford J (1994) Using dynamic time warping to find patterns in time series. In: Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, AAAIWS’94. AAAI Press, Seattle, pp 359–370Google Scholar
- 4.Bonomi AG, Schipper F, Eerikäinen L, Margarito J, Aarts RM, Babaeizadeh S, Morree HM, Dekker L (2016) Atrial fibrillation detection using photo-plethysmography and acceleration data at the wrist. In: 2016 Computing in CardiologyGoogle Scholar
- 5.Buttu A, Pruvot E, Van Zaen J, Viso A, Forclaz A, Pascale P, Narayan SM, Vesin JM (2013) Adaptive frequency tracking of the baseline ECG identifies the site of atrial fibrillation termination by catheter ablation. Biomed Signal Process Control 8(6):969–980. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bspc.2013.02.005 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.(ehra) DwtscotEHRA, (eacts) EbtEAfCTS, Members AF, Camm AJ, Kirchhof P, Lip GYH, Schotten U, Savelieva I, Ernst S, Gelder ICV, Al-Attar N, Hindricks G, Prendergast B, Heidbuchel H, Alfieri O, Angelini A, Atar D, Colonna P, Caterina RD, Sutter JD, Goette A, Gorenek B, Heldal M, Hohloser SH, Kolh P, Heuzey JYL, Ponikowski P, Rutten FH, (cpg) ECfPG, Vahanian A, Auricchio A, Bax J, Ceconi C, Dean V, Filippatos G, Funck-Brentano C, Hobbs R, Kearney P, McDonagh T, Popescu BA, Reiner Z, Sechtem U, Sirnes PA, Tendera M, Vardas PE, Widimsky P, Reviewers D, Vardas PE, Agladze V, Aliot E, Balabanski T, Blomstrom-Lundqvist C, Capucci A, Crijns H, Dahlöf B, Folliguet T, Glikson M, Goethals M, Gulba DC, Ho SY, Klautz RJM, Kose S, McMurray J, Filardi PP, Raatikainen P, Salvador MJ, Schalij MJ, Shpektor A, Sousa J, Stepinska J, Uuetoa H, Zamorano JL, Zupan I (2010) Guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation. Eur Heart J 31(19):2369–2429. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehq278
- 12.Fallet S, Lemay M, Renevey P, Leupi C, Pruvot E, Vesin JM (2016) An adaptive organization index to characterize atrial fibrillation using wrist-type photoplethysmographic signals. In: 2016 Computing in CardiologyGoogle Scholar
- 16.Krivoshei L, Weber S, Burkard T, Maseli A, Brasier N, Kühne M, Conen D, Huebner T, Seeck A, Eckstein J (2016) Smart detection of atrial fibrillation. Europace p euw125. https://doi.org/10.1093/europace/euw125
- 17.Lemay M, Fallet S, Renevey P, Leupi C, Pruvot E, Vesin JM (2016) Wrist-located optical device for atrial fibrillation screening: A clinical study on twenty patients. In: 2016 Computing in CardiologyGoogle Scholar
- 18.McManus DD, Lee J, Maitas O, Esa N, Pidikiti R, Carlucci A, Harrington J, Mick E, Chon KH (2013) A novel application for the detection of an irregular pulse using an iPhone 4s in patients with atrial fibrillation. Heart Rhythm 10(3):315–319. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hrthm.2012.12.001 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Naraharisetti K, Bawa M, Tahernezhadi M (2011) Comparison of different signal processing methods for reducing artifacts from photoplethysmograph signal. In: 2011 IEEE International Conference on Electro/Information Technology (EIT), pp 1–8. https://doi.org/10.1109/EIT.2011.5978571
- 20.Podd SJ, Sugihara C, Furniss SS, Sulke N (2016) Are implantable cardiac monitors the ‘gold standard’ for atrial fibrillation detection? A prospective randomized trial comparing atrial fibrillation monitoring using implantable cardiac monitors and DDDRP permanent pacemakers in post atrial fibrillation ablation patients. Europace 18 (7):1000–1005. https://doi.org/10.1093/europace/euv367 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Sornmo L, Laguna P (2005) Bioelectrical signal processing in cardiac and neurological applications. Academic Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar