Computational study for the effects of coil configuration on blood flow characteristics in coil-embolized cerebral aneurysm
- 601 Downloads
Coil embolization of cerebral aneurysms with inhomogeneous coil distribution leads to an incomplete occlusion of the aneurysm. However, the effects of this factor on the blood flow characteristics are still not fully understood. This study investigates the effects of coil configuration on the blood flow characteristics in a coil-embolized aneurysm using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulation. The blood flow analysis in the aneurysm with coil embolization was performed using a coil deployment (CD) model, in which the coil configuration was constructed using a physics-based simulation of the CD. In the CFD results, total flow momentum and kinetic energy in the aneurysm gradually decayed with increasing coil packing density (PD), regardless of the coil configuration attributed to deployment conditions. However, the total shear rate in the aneurysm was relatively high and the strength of the local shear flow varied based on the differences in coil configuration, even at adequate PDs used in clinical practice (20–25 %). Because the sufficient shear rate reduction is a well-known factor in the blood clot formation occluding the aneurysm inside, the present study gives useful insight into the effects of coil configuration on the treatment efficiency of coil embolization.
KeywordsCerebral aneurysm Computational fluid dynamics Coil embolization
This work was supported in part by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (No. 23650261), JSPS Research Fellowships for Young Scientist (No. 14J01622) and MEXT as a Priority Issue (Integrated computational life science to support personalized and preventive medicine) to be tackled by using post-K computer.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
- 7.Chalouhi N, Jabbour P, Singhal S, Drueding R, Starke RM, Dalyai RT, Tjoumakaris S, Gonzalez LF, Dumont AS, Rosenwasser R, Randazzo CG (2013) Stent-assisted coiling of intracranial aneurysms: predictors of complications, recanalization and outcome in 508 cases. Stroke 44(5):1348–1353. doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.111.000641 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Chatzizisis YS, Coskun AU, Jonas M, Edelman ER, Feldman CL, Stone PH (2007) Role of endothelial shear stress in the natural history of coronary atherosclerosis and vascular remodeling: molecular, cellular, and vascular behavior. J Am Coll Cardiol 49(25):2379–2393. doi: 10.1016/j.jacc.2007.02.059 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Ergun S (1952) Fluid flow through packed columns. Chem Eng Prog 48:89–94Google Scholar
- 25.Otani T, Nakamura M, Fujinaka T, Hirata M, Kuroda J, Shibano K, Wada S (2013) Computational fluid dynamics of blood flow in coil-embolized aneurysms: effect of packing density on flow stagnation in an idealized geometry. Med Biol Eng Comput 51(8):901–910. doi: 10.1007/s11517-013-1062-5 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Otani T, Ii S, Fujinaka T, Hirata M, Kuroda J, Shibano K, Wada S (2013) Development of a virtual coil model for blood flow simulation in coil-embolized aneurysms. In: ASME Proceedings of IMECE 2013, IMECE2013-64435:V03AT03A035. doi: 10.1115/IMECE2013-64435
- 28.Piotin M, Spelle L, Mounayer C, Salles-Rezende MT, Giansante-Abud D, Vanzin-Santos R, Moret J (2007) Intracranial aneurysms: treatment with bare platinum coils–aneurysm packing, complex coils, and angiographic recurrence. Radiology 243(2):500–508. doi: 10.1148/radiol.2431060006 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 35.Raymond J, Guilbert F, Weill A, Georganos SA, Juravsky L, Lambert A, Lamoureux J, Chagnon M, Roy D (2003) Long-term angiographic recurrences after selective endovascular treatment of aneurysms with detachable coils. Stroke 34(6):1398–1403. doi: 10.1161/01.STR.0000073841.88563.E9 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar