3C-based methods to detect long-range chromatin interactions
- 182 Downloads
Transcriptional regulatory regions are often located several thousand bases from the gene that they control. To function, the chromatin strand forms loops to juxtapose distal regions with the promoter. These long-range chromatin interactions have profound influences on the regulation of gene expression and mapping these interactions is currently a subject of intensive investigation. Chromosome conformation capture (3C) technology and its derivatives have been widely used to detect chromatin interactions and greatly contributed to understanding of the relationship between genome organization and genome function. Here we review these 3C-based methods for the study of long-range chromatin interactions and recent exciting findings obtained by using these technologies.
Keywordschromatin interactions 3C gene regulation next-generation sequencing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Carroll J S, Liu X S, Brodsky A S, Li W, Meyer C A, Szary A J, Eeckhoute J, Shao W L, Hestermann E V, Geistlinger T R, Fox E A, Silver P A, Brown M (2005). Chromosome-wide mapping of estrogen receptor binding reveals long-range regulation requiring the forkhead protein FoxA1. Cell, 122(1): 33–43CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Dostie J, Richmond T A, Arnaout R A, Selzer R R, Lee WL, Honan T A, Rubio E D, Krumm A, Lamb J, Nusbaum C, Green R D, Dekker J (2006). Chromosome Conformation Capture Carbon Copy (5C): a massively parallel solution for mapping interactions between genomic elements. Genome Res, 16(10): 1299–1309CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Fullwood M J, Liu M H, Pan Y F, Liu J, Xu H, Mohamed Y B, Orlov Y L, Velkov S, Ho A, Mei P H, Chew E G, Huang P Y, Welboren W J, Han Y, Ooi H S, Ariyaratne P N, Vega V B, Luo Y, Tan P Y, Choy P Y, Wansa K D, Zhao B, Lim K S, Leow S C, Yow J S, Joseph R, Li H, Desai K V, Thomsen J S, Lee Y K, Karuturi R K, Herve T, Bourque G, Stunnenberg H G, Ruan X, Cacheux-Rataboul V, Sung W K, Liu E T, Wei C L, Cheung E, Ruan Y (2009). An oestrogen-receptoralpha-bound human chromatin interactome. Nature, 462(7269): 58–64CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lieberman-Aiden E, van Berkum N L, Williams L, Imakaev M, Ragoczy T, Telling A, Amit I, Lajoie B R, Sabo P J, Dorschner M O, Sandstrom R, Bernstein B, Bender M A, Groudine M, Gnirke A, Stamatoyannopoulos J, Mirny L A, Lander E S, Dekker J (2009). Comprehensive mapping of long-range interactions reveals folding principles of the human genome. Science, 326(5950): 289–293CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zhao Z, Tavoosidana G, Sjölinder M, Göndör A, Mariano P, Wang S, Kanduri C, Lezcano M, Sandhu K S, Singh U, Pant V, Tiwari V, Kurukuti S, Ohlsson R (2006). Circular chromosome conformation capture (4C) uncovers extensive networks of epigenetically regulated intra- and interchromosomal interactions. Nat Genet, 38(11): 1341–1347CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar