The Negev of Israel: People in Social and Cultural Transition
A week long seminar on the ramifications of legalization of cannabis was held at Ben Gurion University in January 2018. Participants included researchers, government officials, and activists from Israel and Colorado. The Negev region of Israel provided the background for this seminar. Participants participated in a day-long tour to gain first-hand knowledge of the region, the unique stresses on the population, and the potential implications on government policy regarding legalization of cannabis. This article highlights key points of these regional stresses and implications for policy development.
KeywordsNegev Israel Transition Cannabis
Compliance with Ethical Standards
The author declares the article is in compliance with the protection of all human and animal rights.
Conflict of Interest
The author declares that he has no conflict of interest.
- Abu Jaffer, I. (2018). Bedouin-Arab people of the Negev: conditions and responses. International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction, forthcoming.Google Scholar
- Bowers, L, & Chernichovsky, D. (2016). Your place in line: Waiting times in Israel's public hospitals. Taub Center for Social Policy Studies in Israel. Retrieved from http://taubcenter.org.il/wp-content/files_mf/waitingtimesinhospitalseng.pdf
- Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS) (2017). Statistical abstract of Israel 2016. Retrieved from http://www.cbs.gov.il/reader/cw_usr_view_Folder?ID=141 (Hebrew).
- Schumpeter (2010). Beyond the start-up nation: Israel has become a high-tech superpower over the past two decades. Can the good news last? The Economist. Retrieved from http://www.economist.com/node/17796932
- Schwab, K. (Ed.). (2017). The global competitiveness report 2017–2018. Geneva: World Economic Forum.Google Scholar
- Senor, D., & Singer, S. (2009). Start-up nation: the story of Israel’s economic miracle. New York: Hachette Book Group.Google Scholar
- Wikimedia (2014). Negev Desert Map. Retrieved from http://greatamericanroadtrip.us/negev-desert-map/negev-desert-map-fileeilat-israel-map-wikimedia-commons-with-308-x-439/