Optical Detection of Thiol Drugs by Core–Shell Luminous Carbon Dots—Gold Nanoparticles System
- 84 Downloads
Nowadays, carbon quantum dots (CQDs) with size less than 10 nm have emerged as one of the most exciting areas of chemical research in the class of inorganic nanomaterials. This article presents interesting characteristics of CQDs and their fluorescence turn-on/turn-off quenching for the detection of 6-Thioguanine (6-TG). The CQDs were fabricated by a simple one-step microwave technique and used for the simultaneous reduction of Au3+ to form Au0-CQD core–shell (Au@CQD) nanocomposites. The CQDs formed were spherical in shape having an average size of ~ 7 nm confirmed by high-resolution transmission electron microscopy (HRTEM) and DLS study. The interaction of CQDs with Au leads to its fluorescence turn-off up to 96% analyzed by UV-visible, fluorescence spectroscopy, and fluorescence lifetime measurements. The turn-on fluorescence of CQDs has been witnessed by the formation of complex with 6-TG [Au-(6-TG)n]3− in the presence of thiols. Meanwhile, linear relationship between turn-on fluorescence against the concentration of 6-TG is obtained in the range of 0–100 μM with the correlation coefficient of 0.9944 and limit of detection for 6-TG has been found to be 0.01 μM. The Au@CQDs could also act as biosensor for the detection of various amino acids, enzymes, and pentids drug.
KeywordsCarbon quantum dots Fluorescence quenching 6-Thioguanine Turn-on/turn-off detection
Authors are also grateful to Mr. Rayees Ahmad, School of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Thapar University, for the discussion and suggestions.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 5.Wang J, Qu X (2013) Recent progress in nanosensors for sensitive detection of biomolecules. Nano 5(9):3589–3600Google Scholar
- 6.Chen W-Y, Huang C-C, Chen L-Y, Chang H-T (2014) Self-assembly of hybridized ligands on gold nanodots: tunable photoluminescence and sensing of nitrite. Nano 6(19):11078–11083Google Scholar
- 9.Mehta A, Sharma M, Kumar A, Basu S Effect of Au content on the enhanced photocatalytic efficiency of mesoporous Au/TiO2 nanocomposites in UV and sunlight. Gold Bulletin:1–9Google Scholar
- 22.Mandani S, Sharma B, Dey D, Sarma TK (2015) Carbon nanodots as ligand exchange probes in Au@ C-dot nanobeacons for fluorescent turn-on detection of biothiols. Nano 7(5):1802–1808Google Scholar
- 24.Amjadi M, Shokri R, Hallaj T (2016) Interaction of glucose-derived carbon quantum dots with silver and gold nanoparticles and its application for the fluorescence detection of 6-thioguanine. LuminescenceGoogle Scholar
- 25.Sweetman SC (2009) Martindale: the complete drug reference. Pharmaceutical press,Google Scholar
- 29.Pan J, Zheng Z, Yang J, Wu Y, Lu F, Chen Y, Gao W (2017) A novel and sensitive fluorescence sensor for glutathione detection by controlling the surface passivation degree of carbon quantum dots. TalantaGoogle Scholar