Photoconductivity of Silver Nanoparticle Ensembles on Quartz Glass (SiO2) Supports Assisted by Localized Surface Plasmon Excitations
- 235 Downloads
We have studied the conductivity and photoconductivity in silver nanoparticle ensembles on quartz glass substrates. We observed a significant increase of the photoconductivity if the localized surface plasmon resonance in the metal nanoparticles was excited. A detailed analysis of the temperature dependence of the conductivity as well as dependences of the conductivity and photoconductivity on the amount of deposited metal led to the mechanism of the charge transfer in these structures. We found that the primary role in this mechanism is due to defects in the quartz glass structure which act as traps for electrons.
KeywordsSilver nanoparticle ensembles Photoconductivity Plasmon resonance Traps Hopping conductivity Activation energy
This work has been supported by RFBR 12–02031922. Elena Vashchenko is grateful to DAAD for a scholarship and the hospitality of Kassel University’s staff. Discussions with V.V. Khromov, S.G. Przhibelskii, and N.B. Leonov are gratefully acknowledged.
- 3.Köhler M, Fritzsche W (2007) Nanotechnology. An introduction to nanostructuring techniques. WILEY, WeinheimGoogle Scholar
- 4.Abeles B, Sheng P, Coutts MD, Arie Y (1975) Structural and electrical properties of granular metal films. Adv Phys. doi: 10.1080/00018737500101431
- 7.Hubenthal F, Hendrich C, Vartanyan TA, Träger F (2012) Determination of fundamental morphological parameters of supported nanoparticle ensembles: extracting the functional dependence between nanoparticle shape and size. Plasmonics. doi: 10.1007/s11468-012-9408-7
- 9.Chopra Kasturi L (1969) Thin film phenomena. McGraw-Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 10.Gritsenko VA, Ivanov RM, Morokov YN (1995) Electronic structure of amorphous SiO2: experiment and numerical simulation. JETP 81:1208–1216Google Scholar
- 12.Klimov V (2011) Nanoplasmonics. Pan Stanford Publishing, SingaporeGoogle Scholar
- 19.Vashchenko EV, Gladskikh IA, Vartanyan TA, Przhibelskii SG, Khromov VV (2013) Conductivity and photoconductivity of granular silver films on sapphire substrates. Optical Journal. In printGoogle Scholar